MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stopping bots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey there,

I've just created my forum and am in the process of setting it up, but already I am having accounts with ridiculous names register, that are clearly bots. I have the Stop Forum Spam plug-in installed and activated, but they still seem to be getting through. What else can I do?

Cheers and thanks, Reece.
Give the following a try:

http://mods.mybb.com/view/fassim-anitspam
http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-6382.html

The Mybbcentral one is for subscribers only, however if you're willing to do some file edits, there's a free alternative:
http://community.mybb.com/thread-86525.html

Hope I helped! Smile
Sorry for the hijack but i have a similar problem. The bots register but they don't activate they accounts via e-mail so they don't have the chance of posting anything.
I'm using reCAPTCHAII for registration, is there anything else i can do to stop them to create and account?
(2011-01-28, 08:13 AM)yulasinio Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for the hijack but i have a similar problem. The bots register but they don't activate they accounts via e-mail so they don't have the chance of posting anything.
I'm using reCAPTCHAII for registration, is there anything else i can do to stop them to create and account?

Go to Google Analytics and analyze where your traffic is from. I get 30k unique page views monthly to my forum and noticed 6k was from Russia, I knew that wasn't legitimate so I firewalled Russia and the Netherlands. I'm also getting traffic with malicious-intent from China so that's next to go.

You'll need to find the country with a lot of traffic yet is odd, if you know what I mean?
I don't use anything to stop bots, i just made my own captcha. Easier than my captcha is almost impossible lol.

Works really well because bots don't recognize it. No i won't share how i did it, because then it would become common use, and bots will recognize it. Eventually they probably will , but i like to have as much time without bots before i have to come up with something new.. With a little understanding of php and html forms it's easy to make, just by looking how it looks at my forum.

It requires a few really minor edits to core files and some template edits, but it keeps the bots out, and my guest posters happy..

(Yes even with guest posting we have no botproblem)

(2011-01-28, 09:21 AM)Disturbed Wrote: [ -> ]I don't use anything to stop bots, i just made my own captcha. Easier than my captcha is almost impossible lol.

Works really well because bots don't recognize it. No i won't share how i did it, because then it would become common use, and bots will recognize it. Eventually they probably will , but i like to have as much time without bots before i have to come up with something new.. With a little understanding of php and html forms it's easy to make, just by looking how it looks at my forum.

It requires a few really minor edits to core files and some template edits, but it keeps the bots out, and my guest posters happy..

I don't see how that would help the OP?
(2011-01-28, 09:28 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-01-28, 09:21 AM)Disturbed Wrote: [ -> ]I don't use anything to stop bots, i just made my own captcha. Easier than my captcha is almost impossible lol.

Maybe OP has a little understanding of php and html and can make something similar?

Like blocking entire countries will help... Spambots come from every country worldwide.. You gonna block them all? You block a country like the Netherlands (a country with a very active internet culture) based on a few hits?

There is more spam coming from the US.. did you block them too?

[Image: stats_pie_country_4.png]

A better advice would be disallowing emailproviders like mail.ru etc. Or banning entire server hosts.. not an entire country..

@The Elite: were did you paste the google analytics code, in the index template?

As Disturbed said we need to create something that will stop them to register.
(2011-01-28, 09:45 AM)yulasinio Wrote: [ -> ]@The Elite: were did you paste the google analytics code, in the index template?

As Disturbed said we need to create something that will stop them to register.

I would put it in the footer. Because that's on every page. the index is not..
(2011-01-28, 09:44 AM)Disturbed Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-01-28, 09:28 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]

Maybe OP has a little understanding of php and html and can make something similar?

Like blocking entire countries will help... Spambots come from every country worldwide.. You gonna block them all? You block a country like the Netherlands (a country with a very active internet culture) based on a few hits?

There is more spam coming from the US.. did you block them too?

[Image: stats_pie_country_4.png]

A better advice would be disallowing emailproviders like mail.ru etc. Or banning entire server hosts.. not an entire country..

I actually checked the spam bots I received today and found that a majority of them were from Russia. Also, I might revert the Netherlands block. Tell me, why would I receive 6,000 unique page views from Russia to a RuneScape forum? I doubt that's just some google traffic.

Yes also, I have blocked mail.ru.
Pages: 1 2