MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: >mfw
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2011-01-28, 03:10 PM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you change the graphics card, even if you could? A more powerful card would draw the laptop's power supply over its limits.

Because 3d modeling sucks hardcore with Intel HD gfx. Also, how does one determine the ps of their laptop? Looking at the tiny power module I assumed it would simply draw more from the outlet, since mine is plugged in usually anyways.

(2011-01-28, 03:15 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]A laptop was never intended for gaming. Unless it's an Alienware

Gaming wasn't even my goal...
(2011-01-28, 11:06 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-01-28, 03:10 PM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you change the graphics card, even if you could? A more powerful card would draw the laptop's power supply over its limits.

Because 3d modeling sucks hardcore with Intel HD gfx. Also, how does one determine the ps of their laptop? Looking at the tiny power module I assumed it would simply draw more from the outlet, since mine is plugged in usually anyways.

power supplies don't really work like that Confused I have a 1000w PS in my pc, but if I need more power, the mains won't give me more. I'm fairly sure it's because of the DC transformer inside. They can only handle a set amount of power. I would guess a laptop would have a 250-350W PSU Smile
(2011-01-29, 07:28 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]power supplies don't really work like that Confused I have a 1000w PS in my pc, but if I need more power, the mains won't give me more. I'm fairly sure it's because of the DC transformer inside. They can only handle a set amount of power. I would guess a laptop would have a 250-350W PSU Smile

Actually laptop power bricks are usually 65-100W. Mine is 95W for an Acer gaming laptop. Only problem I have with it is heat, so I need a cooling pad. Thats it. If you look at your power brick and its a 65W but the upgraded power brick off eBay for your power ratings and plug type. They only run $7-$15USD based on model & brand.
Yeah my desktop doesn't even draw 300W from the outlet at load. (Phenom II X4 @ 3GHz, GTX 460 768MB) 1000W is ridiculous overkill.
(2011-01-29, 03:58 PM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah my desktop doesn't even draw 300W from the outlet at load. (Phenom II X4 @ 3GHz, GTX 460 768MB) 1000W is ridiculous overkill.

1000W is a multi-drive/multi-gpu power consumption. Usually in things like video wall clusters and such.
Pages: 1 2 3