MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can Spambots read the Captcha codes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2011-01-29, 07:29 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]What I like is questions on registration.

One of my favorites we use on SCD...
How much dirt is in a six foot by three foot hole?

Idiots and spam bots alike fail that all the time Smile

Even I would fail that considering we use the metric system making your method of protection from spam bots inneficient.
A lot of spam accounts are registered by humans; you could put a quadratic equation as a CAPTCHA, if the person signing up knows how to do it, they'll get past it.
>how much dirt is in a 6x3 hole
>dirt in hole
>hole

/facepalm
I've seen that question posted before and it said 6 x 6 x 3 then, 6 x 3 could just be a square on the ground Toungue
(2011-01-29, 05:18 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]using reCaptcha by default is not the best idea as it would require the admin to become dependent on a third party and acquire an extra account on that site.

Now having a default option to enable it with built in support for it is a good idea though.

I agree!
Also if the default Captcha be customizable, it would be very hard to break it using a bot. We are not have to use same width, height, fonts and methods for all MyBB forums. These could be random and customizable.

(2011-01-29, 08:20 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]But anyway, a lot of spam accounts are registered by humans; you could put a quadratic equation as a CAPTCHA, if the person signing up knows how to do it, they'll get past it.

You are right, Captcha is not supposed to stop humans. We have to leave them to moderators.
(2011-01-29, 08:45 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen that question posted before and it said 6 x 6 x 3 then, 6 x 3 could just be a square on the ground Toungue

umm, there is no dirt in the hole (thus it being a hole)
Touché.
(2011-01-29, 08:45 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen that question posted before and it said 6 x 6 x 3 then, 6 x 3 could just be a square on the ground Toungue

I just mistyped it in a hurry Wink
It is 6x6x3 Smile AKA a GRAVE

(2011-01-29, 10:38 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]

umm, there is no dirt in the hole (thus it being a hole)

And yes, the answer is "none".
(2011-01-29, 10:49 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]And yes, the answer is "none".

I'm glad that at least something solved in this topic!
(2011-01-29, 08:43 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]>how much dirt is in a 6x3 hole
>dirt in hole
>hole

/facepalm

/facepalm

I shouldn't post straight after I wake up. My mistake.
Pages: 1 2 3