MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Looking to buy a good php book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been learning php for a couple of weeks now, and even though there are a ton of tutorials online, a book always comes handy. So I want to buy a good php book.

My idea of a good book in this case is like an offline documentation, a reference I can count on. A list of functions, how they work, examples and the theory behind it. It can even be an online tutorial, just as long as I can print it and keep it to myself. I do not want to spend more than $15, unless it is extremely good. Any suggestion is welcome though, even if it's more than $15.

Thank you.
This is exactly what you are looking for, but it is six years old. I highly recommended this, this, and this. The last two are closer to what you are looking for.
Andrew Harris spells everything out in very easy to understand manner.

http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Programm...732&sr=8-1
These are the PHP Books on my shelf. Which have taken me from not knowing PHP at all, to being the lead developer for the merge system in less than a year.

With those 4 books you have everything you need. But you could add Expert PHP & MySQL as well.
PHP and MySQL Web Development (4th Edition)

A great book more then double your price but It's worth it.
An addendum to my previous, I bought all my copies used for less than $5 each. Well worth it, since they're still in great shape.
I'm considering buying both the 2nd and the 3rd book Dylan mentioned.
Just a little question for you all participating in this topic... Are these books more beneficial than a free internet Tutorial or something you find on the net?
They give examples and the basics. Books are a lot easier for some people because its physical, and its been edited numerous times so there are no errors. Its preference.
Pages: 1 2