MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Lightweight linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Basically, im reconfiguring a guys network (as said in my other thread) as well as building 2 computers for him. He has an old box (low CPU and only 256mb RAM) and its REALLY SLOW on XP, so I suggested installing linux on it (as he only wants to surf the net on it.

What linux distros's would be best. I mean i know of things like fedora, debian, arch, ubuntu, mint etc.. But are there any other ones with a reasonably nice GUI? They don't have to be ultra low requirement distro's but something that'll run nicely on 256mb Smile

Thanks
try Damn Small Linux
XUbunu is meant to be lightweight, but I wouldn't advise it. DSL is good as stated above and so is LUbuntu IMO.
Lubuntu is good, but not sure about the 256 part, make sure to configure it for him, audio players and others.
I tried DSL once, and loathed the UI. I tend to use XUbuntu, but have been thinking about trying to build a distro from scratch that has the absolute bare minimum to surf the web and do a few other things (i.e. no preinstalled anything I'll never use but can download if I need).
Well, he literally wants firefox, and maybe itunes Toungue
If he wants itunes a fresh XP install is all that will work :/ (Itunes doesn't work unless on SP3 also to my memory.
Well, i could set him up with VLC or something Toungue itunes is a necessity Toungue
Rythembox is better imo, VLC doesn't have a great UI for beginners.
Mandriva One (installed to hard drive instead of LiveCD Boot)
Do some post install configuration.
Your choice of KDE or GNOME desktops (different disks images)
As Mark said above, use Rhythmbox instead of VLC, works very well with most devices and its easy to use.

I currently am running a 1GHz w/ 128MB of RAM for my gf's daughter, and only issue is that YouTube doesn't play very well (too little RAM, so its choppy), otherwise it works great.

EDIT: Oh, and its EASY as heck to use.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6