MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: smf 1.1 to mybb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am seriously considering moving over to mybb as it looks like the smf community has really fallen apart and development there is sluggish at best. Mybb looks like the best option for my community. One thing that is a deal breaker though are user passwords. Can they be converted over to mybb? Is it automatic with the converter? The main reason is: my forum has many anonymous users that have bogus emails, so an email retrieve to set up a new password will not work for hundreds of them and I don't want them to have to make new usernames as they would probably just stop posting.

Thanks for your time.

http://smf.oldrow.net
There's a plugin that comes with the merge system that will convert all your users passwords.
(2011-02-25, 04:43 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]There's a plugin that comes with the merge system that will convert all your users passwords.

Just for more info, it converts the password when they try and log in the first time. So you have to keep that plugin installed on your MyBB forum for awhile. I recommend at least a year.
That sounds fine, will that still work after I convert if I delete the entire smf directory after the transfer?
Yes because the old smf passwords will be stored in the mybb database all the plugin does is convert them to the right format for mybb.
On a side note about 7 months ago i converted from smf 2.0rc3 and think it's the best move i could of made.
Nice. Also I have several board sections that have a members only group. Will these permissions be transferred over? There is some sensitive information in these sections that my privileged members would rather not be seen by our thousands of regular members.

What will happen to my installed modifications? I would like to start from scratch with mybb modifications as they seem easy to install and more useful.
The modifications won't get moved over as the template system is toatally different but if you are worried about it remove all mods before you do the merge.
The forum permissons and user permissions you may need to set again so i would get everything set up before you open the board to your members.
During the transfer can I lock the board while I make changes?
(2011-02-25, 06:28 PM)oldrow Wrote: [ -> ]During the transfer can I lock the board while I make changes?

Yes. From the Admin CP

Configuration > Settings > Board Online / Offline

Yes simply install the board then close the board before making the merge.
Pages: 1 2