MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Cookie rules for Europe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What exactly does this mean to website developers Huh

Quote:The way websites track visitors and tailor ads to their behaviour is about to undergo a big shake-up.

From 25 May, European laws dictate that "explicit consent" must be gathered from web users who are being tracked via text files called "cookies".

Read full story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12668552

Accord to this site theres no need to panic: http://boagworld.com/news/the-current-cookie-crisis/

From what they have gathered we need to do the following:
  • Include a link to your privacy policy on all pages;
  • Explain in that policy how and why you use cookies; and
  • Include a link in your policy to www.aboutcookies.org so that your visitors can access instructions on deleting and controlling cookies.

Is there anything that we should do to make MyBB compliant or is it already?
Whenever I see things like this it just sounds like it's been decided by a group of people who have absolutely no understanding of the implications that will result due to whatever law they're suggesting. And have they really not got anything better to do than change the rules on things like this??
(2011-03-09, 07:06 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Whenever I see things like this it just sounds like it's been decided by a group of people who have absolutely no understanding of the implications that will result due to whatever law they're suggesting. And have they really not got anything better to do than change the rules on things like this??
This.

Who comes up with this junk? Stupid really. Go do something about world peace, or economy friendly junk, stuff that will help us in life..
(2011-03-09, 07:06 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Whenever I see things like this it just sounds like it's been decided by a group of people who have absolutely no understanding of the implications that will result due to whatever law they're suggesting. And have they really not got anything better to do than change the rules on things like this??

Thats Europe for ya' Sad

Thats generally the problem when you bring together a group of countries that are generally new to the internet, paranoid or a mixture of the two. Its quite funny how websites have trouble holding information on people when they "consent" to entering your site. But europe can hold their own database of records, track movement and all sorts....

this is no big deal. every website should have a basic privacy policy that outlines the use of cookies and that the site may store them. if you run third party ads, you should indicate such in the privacy policy with a simple link to the third party privacy sites.

alter your registration agreement to indicate that your site uses cookies and to see the privacy policy for more info. then add a statement that by registering you are agreeing to the use of cookies.

should be simple.

while the EU likes to make things harder for the average joe (more so than the US it seems), this does not seem like a huge compliance issue

if you want example of a privacy policy that covers what i stated, check out my site and scroll to the bottom of the page
Not to be one but what does this actually matters ?
It basically tells you something you are already supposed to have or is atleast in any way moral to add towards your users...
(2011-03-09, 07:32 PM)Ansem Wrote: [ -> ]Not to be one but what does this actually matters ?
It basically tells you something you are already supposed to have or is atleast in any way moral to add towards your users...
But who would make a law about it? There's much more important stuff to do than sitting around a table coming up with stupid cookie laws.
It will get shot down.
I think this is more about the hyper-targeted ads that have become popular lately; cookies that follow you from site to site.
(2011-03-09, 08:28 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]I think this is more about the hyper-targeted ads that have become popular lately; cookies that follow you from site to site.

Or Google, which follows you everywhere.... Im sick of getting the same ads about a book i searched in google, then the exam for the course. Now I get the same advert on EVERY page displaying google ads /rant

PS: I know google doesnt use cookies Toungue But it has the same effect
Pages: 1 2 3