MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Trying to choose a new host
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2011-03-30, 09:03 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Buy a VPS from these guys, i have one they are amazing.

www.jckd.co.uk

I have an active interest in VPS hosting (there's the disclaimer for you!), but am based in the EU and thus I'm not involved in the US hosting business (but previously was). Nevertheless, I still remain interested in seeing what offers are available across the pond, and thus I did a bit of digging on 'JCKD'. First, I decided to research their VPS panel URL:

ldn20-mbp:~ Theo$ host manage.jckd.co.uk
manage.jckd.co.uk has address 98.142.221.45
ldn20-mbp:~ Theo$ host manage.virpus.com
manage.virpus.com has address 98.142.221.45
ldn20-mbp:~ Theo$ host 98.142.221.45
45.221.142.98.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer private.dnsslave.com.

See the similarities yet? Virpus' manage URL A record shares the same IP as JCKD's. Doing a lookup on that, the RDNS shows 'private.dnsslave.com', a subdomain of dnsslave.com, and although this isn't acknowledged publicly, it's Virpus' reseller VPS domain designed to mask themselves for their resellers. As a VPS provider, we do the same as Virpus and have an anonymous domain for our VPS nodes so customers can resell if they want.

ovz-robles.dnsslave.com is one of the Virpus VZ node hostnames. That resolves to 173.0.48.9.
Who owns that IP block (173.0.48.0/20)? Oh yeah, Virpus.

I'm not saying that reselling is bad, and if JCKD offers you some *value added* stuff such as server management, uptime monitoring, free backups etc, it may well be worthwhile, but given Virpus' pricing, it's unlikely they're getting much of a discount for reselling.

Given the above, you may want to take a look at Virpus directly and see if they offer you a better deal, as going through the reseller route means more companies will be seeking to profit from the same offering. You also have to be wary that you are depending on your *reseller* paying their bills - if they fail to pay them, you go offline. It's one extra bit in the matrix of suppliers you have to account for.

In this case, Virpus offers this package, as does JCKD:
Basic
50 GB Disk Space
1000 GB Bandwidth
512MB Guaranteed RAM with 2GB Burst
2 IP Addresses

JCKD charges $8.72/mo, whereas Virpus charges $7. They're also charging more for cPanel, DirectAdmin, IP addresses etc. I strongly suggest you enquire as to if you're going to receive some sort of management or other benefit from being with the other provider.

I hope that helps you find a good deal on a VPS if that's what you after. If you're after shared hosting, I strongly recommend MediaLayer who *really* are the creme de la creme of that field.
I used to have a Virpus VPS and was impressed with the performance, uptime, etc...

With that being said, stay away from them. Do a search on www.WebHostingTalk.com if you need some reasons why.
(2011-04-19, 02:06 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]I used to have a Virpus VPS and was impressed with the performance, uptime, etc...

I've actually tried Virpus before (on five previous occasions since March 2008), and I wasn't impressed. All of the VMs I tried over the years since were slow, the host nodes weren't too reliable, and the network was poor; Cogent?! I mean, really! Level3 somewhat excuses this, but Twtelecom also makes me shudder. Yuck.

Given the money, it isn't too bad, but at the same time, it really is a raw experience.

Their pricing does attract resellers adding zero value to their 'poor' services, and in my original post that was what I was getting at (the risks of going with a reseller etc) instead of Virpus.

Can I also add that I had two backup servers running Rsync on them late last year that were hit by the Virpus node hacking, resulting in all backup data being completely wiped. That was just an off-site backup system trial, and now we have our own dedicated servers to do our bidding, but even so, it shows a lack of dependability.
Performance-wise Virpus had the fastest VPSs I've ever used (then again I always went for uptime over performance so that could be why). I picked up a 512MB Xen VPS w/cPanel for $19 (cPanel license alone is $15 so it was a great deal for me at the time) and the only reason I left was because I was running out of disk space and their sales team wasn't answering my tickets to upgrade to the next level VPS (even after I offered to pay full price but I ended up purchasing a dedicated box instead).
I've seen about 5 clients sign up with JKCD, and all of us are proud costumers. The only one who was disapointed, forgot to pay his bill and was sad he lost his files. Apart from that i've only heard good things. I was offered the package up at a discounted price. As for backups, when i get mine running right, even my backup server will backup to a local one, so i'm not worried.
If you donate 50%+ to mybb that amount, I will give you free host on my VPS..

I am just running one site :- http://googleaskyahoo.com any may be, I will bring my one more site of mybb there... thats it... Smile
Pages: 1 2 3