MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: not the faintest clue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi guys,
I can't be sure if anyone can relate to being a total beginner at something, but thats where im at.
I wanna set up a forum.. sounds easy(?) lead me here.
and im like WTF!!!

Is there a sticky, or intro or friednly helpful beginners guide?
i dont know what version i have. what a fkn css is, or any other such garble.

I know how to get around aforum, and I know how I want to make it appear and function,
but the rest seems like steamy turds.

Any advice for getting a clue with this stuff?

kind thanks
BJM

[Wiki: Installing] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)

Do you have a host yet...?? If you've just downloaded MyBB then you'll have version 1.6.2...
No, I haven't a host yet.
I thought maybe there was some degree of 'free' hosting..
is it hosted only as long as it takes to first build it or something?

thanks heaps guys. Is there a lot of Q&A around here? I stumbled across one thread where someone was kinda making demands for help.. instead of seeming appreciative,
and then some reference to a limit on free requests for help or something.
Is there like some dummies guide out there for building forums or something?

Or do I just treat u guys extra nice? Smile
You can use http://www.x10hosting.com/ for a free host
MyBB does not provide any hosting. As ImagineDesigns said, you can use a free host such as x10hosting.com (I had some decent experience with them before I moved to a paid host). There is a lot of Q&A and there is (to the best of my knowledge) no real limit on "free requests for help".

As to installing, just follow the instructions on the wiki. Make sure you do everything on your host! You could potentially even host it from your own computer, but you would need (well want) constant uptime. If you choose to go that route, you will need to install apache (apache.org) and php (php.net) on your computer in order for this to work. Also, you will also then have an IP address instead of a web address, so you could get a free no-ip sub domain (http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_dn...c_dns.html).
I think you need to learn a bit more about how owning a website works before you start a forum. Maybe use CreateMyBB or something.
Thanks guys. i've build the outline of the forum I want..

I tried to get x10 to host it..
should i have entered the url with the mybb bits in it?
To get it properly hosted? Cos i entered the domain but all iv got hosted is some cgi parent dir scribble..
(2011-04-04, 04:16 AM)BigJonMud Wrote: [ -> ]...Cos i entered the domain...

A domain which you own? (paid to register)
Free hosting is fine for you, several free hosts are actually better than paid (shared) hosting. Smile
  • You need your own domain!
Building a forum without owning a domain is a ridiculous waste of your time and effort, IMO.

(2011-04-04, 04:23 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-04-04, 04:16 AM)BigJonMud Wrote: [ -> ]...Cos i entered the domain...

A domain which you own? (paid to register)
Free hosting is fine for you, several free hosts are actually better than paid (shared) hosting. Smile
  • You need your own domain!
Building a forum without owning a domain is a ridiculous waste of your time and effort, IMO.

Yes, I own the domain. a variety of extensions relating to the main address.so, i entered the .com, and when i visit the hosting it just shows up with 2 pages- parent dir, and cgi bin or something

Pages: 1 2 3