MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The "Too Many Connections" Error.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
One of my members reported getting this error (which I'm familiar of as Labrocca's very large forum gets it sometimes) so I decided to make a thread asking if anyone else has ever received it. Everyone was saying no which I was happy with, but now someone else has received it. Now I don't know the technical meaning of the "too many connections" error, but isn't that when there's too many people either logging in at the same time, or viewing the pages?

I'm aware that there's no real fix for it like most SQL errors, but is this just a hint to get me onto a VPS or is there some compressing/performance enhancing I can perform to remove it.

Thanks.
That's actually a Host's issue. It doesn't related to MyBB itself.
Okay I'll speak to my host and mark this as solved. Smile
It means that too many people are visiting your website at the same time. The "Too Many Connections" is a error that is thrown by the MySQL server. If your host has set the max_connections to a low number (which is the case with most shared hostings), you will not be able to handle a lot of visitors. You could contact your hosting provider and ask if they can up that number. Otherwise you should look for a better hosting provider or consider using a VPS where you have control over it yourself.
Just got a response from the host "Ask MyBB for support on how to optimize SQL" (paraphrasing, can't remember exactly) then he went on to say "if that doesn't help, then yes a VPS is the solution". Sigh. So, any MySQL optimization I can do to lessen the load? The max amount of continues connections is 25 I think he said.
You got to tell your host about increasing some attribute like:

max_user_connections

limit to whatever like 500 or 1K and it should not be there again.
25? Oh dear, get a new host!
(2011-04-05, 01:16 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Just got a response from the host "Ask MyBB for support on how to optimize SQL" (paraphrasing, can't remember exactly) then he went on to say "if that doesn't help, then yes a VPS is the solution". Sigh. So, any MySQL optimization I can do to lessen the load? The max amount of continues connections is 25 I think he said.
well 25 are much less. You may use gzip compression enabled if you want to do as your host said.

(2011-04-05, 01:19 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]You got to tell your host about increasing some attribute like:

max_user_connections

Asked, and got denied. Typical Hostgator.

(2011-04-05, 01:19 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]25? Oh dear, get a new host!
Believe me I want to. I also didn't know hostgator was this stingy (cheap)

(2011-04-05, 01:20 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]well 25 are much less. You may use gzip compression enabled if you want to do as your host said.
Does gzip compression actually help? Never really understood that.
(2011-04-05, 01:22 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-04-05, 01:19 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]You got to tell your host about increasing some attribute like:

max_user_connections

Asked, and got denied. Typical Hostgator.

(2011-04-05, 01:19 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]25? Oh dear, get a new host!
Believe me I want to. I also didn't know hostgator was this stingy (cheap)

(2011-04-05, 01:20 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]well 25 are much less. You may use gzip compression enabled if you want to do as your host said.
Does gzip compression actually help? Never really understood that.
I always use this for reliable report,according to as of now,I see your site (assuming marketforums.org) is gzipped now,its saving 80% of your bandwidth and traffic,it is unbelievable but true,check your report here:

http://www.whatsmyip.org/http_compression/

A detailed report can be generated at the site below:

http://analyze.websiteoptimization.com/wso

Pages: 1 2