MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Not getting thread notifications
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,
I'm using 1.6.2
My forum's administrators are not getting thread or PM notifications, even though we are set to "instant email notification". We are, however, getting notification when a new user registers (the "Email About New Members" plugin).

I looked at mail settings, and I assume we should be using .php mail since all of the web site's contact forms use .php. I even ran the .php mail test and all is fine.

I found the document on the MyBB Wiki that states that some hosts require the "from address" be from their server. So, I looked at functions.php to insert the line

ini_set("sendmail_from", " [email protected] ");

but the line I'm supposed to put it above is nowhere in the file:

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

There are several variations of that line, but nothing exactly like it. And i have no idea which variation to choose because I don't know php.

Also, I used [email protected] (replaced, of course with my domain name) as php mail parameter, but that didn't solve the issue, either.

Help, please.

Thanks
Try replacing the functions.php file with the default one from a new dowload of MyBB.
Check that your host isn't having mail problems by running this test: http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Help:Mail
(2011-04-08, 06:08 PM)Shukaku Wrote: [ -> ]Check that your host isn't having mail problems by running this test: http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Help:Mail

Hi, thanks. I've run that test, and all is well.

(2011-04-08, 05:27 PM)Clarkie Wrote: [ -> ]Try replacing the functions.php file with the default one from a new dowload of MyBB.
Okey doke, will do. Thanks!

(2011-04-08, 05:27 PM)Clarkie Wrote: [ -> ]Try replacing the functions.php file with the default one from a new dowload of MyBB.

I didn't find that line in the original functions.php, either, but I did find

function my_mail($to, $subject, $message, $from="", $charset="", $headers="", $keep_alive=false, $format="text", $message_text="", $return_email="")

Should I put the following above it?

ini_set("sendmail_from", " [email protected] ");

Thanks

Also, my client uses Microsoft Exchange Server for their emails. i don't know anything about that at all.
It does not make sense that you would not get the forum emails but you'd get the emails from the plugin. I just checked the plugin and it uses the mybb function to send the emails.

Do you see any error in the System and user email log under admincp >> Tools & Maintenance?

Could you also try toggling the Message ID option in the PHP Mail settings.
Do you have a proper email set in Admincp >> Configuration >> General Settings >> Admin Email
Try setting this to the same email as what you want to set up using ini_set
Do you have anything entered for Return Email?

As for ini_set, MyBB already tries to set that if your sendmail_from email does not match the email set in admin email. The code is in inc/mailhandlers/php.php line 52.
If you must add that line you can add it on line 54 below the }

Which reminds me, that part of the wiki needs updating!
(2011-04-08, 08:19 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]It does not make sense that you would not get the forum emails but you'd get the emails from the plugin. I just checked the plugin and it uses the mybb function to send the emails.

I just registered another account, and that no longer works, either. Maybe it's because of the changes I've made.

(2011-04-08, 08:19 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Do you see any error in the System and user email log under admincp >> Tools & Maintenance?

Only one error, but it was for private message notification:

"Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details.<br /><br />110: Connection timed out"

(2011-04-08, 08:19 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Could you also try toggling the Message ID option in the PHP Mail settings.

Tried with enabled and disabled, no difference.

(2011-04-08, 08:19 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have a proper email set in Admincp >> Configuration >> General Settings >> Admin Email
Try setting this to the same email as what you want to set up using ini_set
Do you have anything entered for Return Email?

All emails are set to the same legit email address.

Could it have something to do with my client using Microsoft Exchange Server for their email?

Why are some of my replies here being tacked on to the end of my previous posts, no matter which "reply" button I use?

Thanks

When you say your client is using exchange for their email, do you mean that the email you are using for admin email is hosted on exchange?

Only thing I can think of if thats the case is that the domain you're using for email might have set spf records specifying servers that are allowed to send email and your webhost's server is not in the allowed list.

Can you try using a generic email address in admin email, like yahoo or hotmail ?
(2011-04-08, 09:13 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]When you say your client is using exchange for their email, do you mean that the email you are using for admin email is hosted on exchange?

Yes.

(2011-04-08, 09:13 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Only thing I can think of if thats the case is that the domain you're using for email might have set spf records specifying servers that are allowed to send email and your webhost's server is not in the allowed list.

Can you try using a generic email address in admin email, like yahoo or hotmail ?

I'll try that. Thanks.

Hi, I've tried using a yahoo account, and no luck. Thanks
(2011-04-08, 09:13 PM)- G33K - Wrote: [ -> ]Can you try using a generic email address in admin email, like yahoo or hotmail ?
Hi, I've tried using a yahoo account, and no luck. Thanks

Now it's partially working. I'm getting emails sent from the control panel, the other admin is not. Some users are getting notifications, some are not. I'm getting copies of other users' notifications, but not my own notifications. Spam folders are being checked.
(2011-04-11, 08:27 PM)Guard Wrote: [ -> ]Now it's partially working. I'm getting emails sent from the control panel, the other admin is not. Some users are getting notifications, some are not. I'm getting copies of other users' notifications, but not my own notifications. Spam folders are being checked.

If its working erratically then you need to get in touch with your host and ask them to check why this is happening. If it was a problem with the script, you would simply not get any emails but here you are getting some emails, some users are getting emails while others are not, you are getting emails from cp while another admin is not, the script does not discriminate who to send emails and who not to.

Check with your host.

EDIT:

(2011-04-08, 09:04 PM)Guard Wrote: [ -> ]Why are some of my replies here being tacked on to the end of my previous posts, no matter which "reply" button I use?

Thanks

I missed this part of your post earlier. If you post a consecutive reply in the thread within the specified time, your reply is just added to your last reply. This is to avoid users bumping thier threads
Pages: 1 2