MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question about upgrading 1.6 and IE9 issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So far I've (manually) upgraded my forum from 1.6.0 to 1.6.3 as of today, following the upgrade text instructions to manually edit templates and files myself no problem.

But I have a question with this very latest 1.6.3 update. Because of the IE9 issue, if you apply the patch manually (not uploading any files). Does this fix the IE9 issues with your forum still? As your not asked to edit either the "Scriptaculous or prototype" jscript files. Which from what I can gather have now been updated in the full 1.6.3 package to fix the IE9 issues. The only jscript file your asked to manually patch is the "general.js" file and also make a slight change to the headincludes template.

I'm a bit confused here, if the manual patch method is fixing the IE9 problems.

I and most of all, does a fresh upgrade,its good and doesn't take much time, its worth doing than taking any risk IMHO.
I cannot do that any longer, I have made so many modification to my forum now that I have to go the manual upgrade path and even check what's being asked to be changed (has not already been changed in some core files). As many have been edited on my forum related with styling and a few other features changed to my liking.

All I really want to know is this, if the manual patch method does not fix the IE9 issues, and is only fixing the security issues. Can you instead just replace those two javascript files (Scriptaculous and prototype) to fix the issue with IE9 that way included in the 1.6.2 upgrade patch files package? Or will you run into problems and cannot do it that simply, as from what I read it's those two files alone that fix all the problems with IE9 (I think)?

Also, I use Windows XP here, so I can't install IE9 to test things myself on my own forum.
The manual patch just contains the security patch and it doesn't change the version number. I have no idea how you can upgrade from 1.6.0 to 1.6.3 manually.
The IE9 issues needs several files to be replace and there are changes on several templates, too.
(2011-04-17, 05:32 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]The manual patch just contains the security patch and it doesn't change the version number. I have no idea how you can upgrade from 1.6.0 to 1.6.3 manually.
The IE9 issues needs several files to be replace and there are changes on several templates, too.

The two manual patch TXT files do change the version number displayed on your forum. Your asked to edit the "class_core.php" file in them and make two changes so your board now shows 1.6.3 in the footer area.

===============
7. inc/class_core.php
===============

Find:
--
	public $version = "1.6.2";
--

Replace with:
--
	public $version = "1.6.3";
--

Find:
--
	public $version_code = 1602;
--

Replace with:
--
	public $version_code = 1603;
--

As far as the template changes go. Looking at what has been changed before going ahead with the manual patch. There are no less templates your asked to edit than the full upgrade changes.

===============
1. forumdisplay_threadlist
===============

Find:
--
	<span class="smalltext"><strong><a href="misc.php?action=markread&amp;fid={$fid}">{$lang->markforum_read}</a> | <a href="usercp2.php?action={$add_remove_subscription}subscription&amp;type=forum&amp;fid={$fid}&amp;my_post_key={$mybb->post_code}">{$add_remove_subscription_text}</a>{$clearstoredpass}</strong></span>
--

Replace with:
--
	<span class="smalltext"><strong><a href="misc.php?action=markread&amp;fid={$fid}{$post_code_string}">{$lang->markforum_read}</a> | <a href="usercp2.php?action={$add_remove_subscription}subscription&amp;type=forum&amp;fid={$fid}&amp;my_post_key={$mybb->post_code}">{$add_remove_subscription_text}</a>{$clearstoredpass}</strong></span>
--

===============
2. index_boardstats
===============

Find:
--
	<a href="misc.php?action=markread">{$lang->markread}</a> |
--

Replace with:
--
	<a href="misc.php?action=markread{$post_code_string}">{$lang->markread}</a> |
--

===============
3. headerinclude
===============

Find:
--
	<script type="text/javascript" src="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/jscripts/general.js?ver=1600"></script>
--

Replace with:
--
	<script type="text/javascript" src="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/jscripts/general.js?ver=1603"></script>
--

Okay, it does change the version number but it is still no 1.6.3 unless all changes are applied and install/upgrade.php is called.
How did you get from 1.6.0 to 1.6.2?
i did the same with out calling install/upgrade.php didnt know it made a difference because when i go in the control panel it says you have upgraded
OK, I get you. Your saying that sure the version number displayed in the footer is changed manually, but the files remain the same and the database has not been updated either. I get you on that one now, even though the Admin CP shows your running the latest version grabbed from the: class_core.php file.

I don't have an issue with that, I just wanted to know if there is anyway to manually fix the IE9 issue. I simply has no option off going down the full upgrade path. I've spent 3 months making changes to my site and it's a no go for me that one. So needed to know if there is a way to add the IE9 fix as a manual patching.

It's an important fix that's needed for MyBB forum users, and not all of us can go the full upgrade path to MyBB 1.6.3
If you can't use the normal way, how could you upgrade from 1.6.0 to 1.6.2?
You can apply the changes mentioned in the ticket but you must be sure what you are doing. It will make the next updates more and more complicated.
When I updated from 1.6.0 to 1.6.1 first, that was done as a full upgrade. The upgrade later to MyBB 1.6.2 was done as a manual patching (so I guess I didn't upgrade really), just applied the fixes only. So my board was really only fully upgraded to 1.6.1. Since it's been manual patching methods carried out (no more full upgrades). I see what your getting at, that I'm not actually even running 1.6.2 - but 1.6.1 instead from 1.6.0.

But as I said before that not the thing I'm really asking. I'm asking can the IE9 issues be fixed in 1.6.x (any version of it) without having to upgrade using the full package. The same way you offer to manually add security patches. Surely it's just a case of replacing a few files and maybe a few template edits at most to get this very important fix. The database should not need to be touched.
Pages: 1 2