MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Good free chat rooms on MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not easy is it Sad

This seems to be.. at least for me.. the biggest single issue with MyBB I have. Because I was using AJAX chat for ages, but it keeps breaking Sad It's got this big bug where it seems capable of going out of control when busy and pulling down my whole site and the server lol

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I try to fix AJAX chat, or are there any other good chat rooms I'm not aware of? I know of ones like CometChat and stuff, but they're not free.

Erm.. I think MyBB would benefit from a more solid, dependable bit of chat software... or maybe one exists that I don't know about!

I love AJAX chat to bits, but I just can't control the bugs.

Thanks guys,

Hoppi
I also tried chatboxes/ajax/123flashchat several days ago, but gave up, all returned errors, am also looking for some currently.
Install MyShoutbox, make a custom page and use MyShoutbox there.
(2011-05-06, 03:55 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]I also tried chatboxes/ajax/123flashchat several days ago, but gave up, all returned errors, am also looking for some currently.

yeah it's tricky isn't it...

Personally I think AJAX chat should be given a shot of life and more closely knitted with MyBB. I love AJAX chat Smile And the number of bugs is relatively small, I really don't think it would take long to pull it up to speed (but I'm not a coder so I can't do it ._. )

(2011-05-06, 04:00 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]Install MyShoutbox, make a custom page and use MyShoutbox there.

Could do... surely it would be a bit of a step down technically from AJAX chat though wouldn't it? Although I suppose at least it would work >.<
Never had a problem with AJAX Chat, other than the Chrome error, and my own modifications to it buggering it up Blush But if you can afford CometChat, by all means, go for it! Smile
And faviouz, your URL is broken Toungue I agree that is a good chat room.
Well yes, it's a lot different from AJAX Chat. AJAX Chat is a fully featured live chat software, while MyShoutbox is just a small, but powerful, MyBB plugin.

There are a couple more shoutboxes around the forum, you could use those in your custom page as well if they're more appealing to you than MyShoutbox.

(fixed the link, thanks!)
You could try flash chat i know its not free but it is like only $5 for the full version or you can get a fully functional trial version but don't think it has all the features.
(2011-05-06, 04:16 PM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]Never had a problem with AJAX Chat, other than the Chrome error, and my own modifications to it buggering it up Blush But if you can afford CometChat, by all means, go for it! Smile
And faviouz, your URL is broken Toungue I agree that is a good chat room.

Hm.. I mean there is a chance that we in fact introduced bugs into it through a lot of accumulated messing around (the site has been up a long while now, and the chat code has been moved from place to place and copied and changed. Maybe we have been accidentally letting mistakes and bugs slip in). I should try reinstalling perhaps. One of my sites is fairly busy though - have you had a high number of people using the room at once?

(2011-05-06, 04:20 PM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]You could try flash chat i know its not free but it is like only $5 for the full version or you can get a fully functional trial version but don't think it has all the features.

Oh yeah anything under like... well, at a push $20 is totally fine. Which one is this though? Could you link me?
http://www.tufat.com/s_flash_chat_chatroom.htm
that is for flash chat i've used it on forums and its very nice.
I always use the PJIRC plugin from Michael. (Made for 1.4, but works on 1.6).

Maybe this can be moved to the plugins section. ;-)
Pages: 1 2