MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Coop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2011-05-11, 05:34 PM)Aries-Belgium Wrote: [ -> ]What about the mod site? Smile People tend to forget that exists. If people don't want to contribute their work to the community, it's their choice and they shouldn't get any more attention imho.

The mods site is pretty widely used Wink I'ms till waiting for it's long-promised upgrade though haha. It works as is, but the validation process can sometimes get annoying - especially if you release something then find a bug and need to update it quickly.
(2011-05-11, 05:43 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]The mods site is pretty widely used Wink I'ms till waiting for it's long-promised upgrade though haha. It works as is, but the validation process can sometimes get annoying - especially if you release something then find a bug and need to update it quickly.

Yeah, the validation process can be better indeed. That's why I made this suggestion a while ago. Although I uploaded a plugin yesterday and it was approved within minutes Toungue But a system where trusted plugin developers have instant approval, would be much more efficient. Both for the plugin developer and the moderator team.
(2011-05-11, 04:48 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Lol XD

exdiogene Wrote:He also told me with a very pretentious attitude how much of a developper he was, like if what he told me was impressive. I can tell that it was not impressive at all!

exdiogene Wrote:I was not the only good software developper to leave their childish community

Seems like you're just like him then.

exdiogene Wrote:many other good developpers left because mostly of the staff and secondly because of the immature nature of their forums
so posting a rant on your forum (where it is difficult for them to retaliate) after a dispute you had with someone on a different forum is not immature?

ONTOPIC: it would be difficult to setup a site because so many want to make their own. They want their own ads to be displayed, to admin their own forums etc...

First, I will tell that making comments one year after the fact is not constructive, mostly if they are out of context...

Most posts regarding these issues were deleted from the public view on MyBB.com, so the only way to publicely continue the exchange was to do it on another forum. If you cannot understand the honesty in this, there is no reason to continue about this.

And for your information, I was out of here for almost a year!

Ryan is no more here and there is no reason to continue about this issue.

If you have any mature comments to give, then produce real arguments sustaining them and in the proper forum, without hijacking someone else thread!

I tried to offer my help because a member proposed a good idea for thousands of forum owners, I can easily continue my life without getting involved in this...

My offer was genuine and serious, I will wait a few weeks and see what is comming out of this.

For the last posters :

I understood that the OP wanted a site for a listing of all kinds of MyBB sites and not only for Mods developpers!
If I understand the OP's idea then IMO this will not take off. The reason we have so many sites in the first place is because the developers of those plugins/themes want an identity of their own, they also want control on their forum where they can demo the plugins/themes and with time have a following of a community, add in to the mix subscriptions and a way to generate income, even if its just to pay for the hosting so it can be self-supporting and you will see why there are so many different sites.

Your idea could very easily be accomplished by the mods site but as can be seen, that is not happening.

About the update to the mods site, its coming...soon and will take care of quite a few things that are lacking in the current mods site.

Also, lets stay on topic and let bygones be bygones.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I do believe a site that could index the different sites for plugins and themes so that its easier to find them would be very welcome.
I think if MyBB had an official system for selling paid plugins and getting the developers paid, onsite demos etc, you'd see a lot less of these offshoot developer sites. I for one wouldn't mind being able to pay for plugins via Paypal through a MyBB "App Store."
We (staff) have just seen the "previews" of the new mods site, and it is amazing. We are still making things up as we go along to some extent. We have thought about the paid idea not to long ago IIRC and it was really a touchy subject....

I think if enough support the idea, it will be implanted but I will bring it back up next time I think about it.
(2011-05-11, 08:06 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]I think if MyBB had an official system for selling paid plugins and getting the developers paid, onsite demos etc, you'd see a lot less of these offshoot developer sites. I for one wouldn't mind being able to pay for plugins via Paypal through a MyBB "App Store."

Then another problem will rise. The step for releasing paid plugins is much smaller so more and more people will start doing it. After a while the paid plugins will outnumber the free plugins and eventually take over the mod site. This is rewarding the wrong authors. MyBB should only promote and offer free plugins in my opinion.
Also, if anybody could effectively charge, there'd have to be much stricter regulations and mimimum requirements in place I reckon - charging for a tiny little plugin to preform a single function isn't right for instance.
There have been quite a few long threads here about paid plugins and the authors seems to be split down the middle. For that reason I dint think MyBB.com will ever offer any kind of paid plugin section Confused
@OP, could it work? Possible, but highly unlikely. The problem is you'll end up having so many different people with different needs and preferences it'll be near impossible to actually find a compromise. When it comes to things like themes, you're going to want your own design and you can't effectively do that when you're sharing the site with other people.

I think a better solution for this would be for people to get together and form a team to do plugins and such, rather than having independent authors trying to use a central hub to sell things; but then we're back to the problem of hosting a bunch of different people, aren't we? Having a listing like ebay on the mods site is one thing, but trying to co-ordinate something that involves everyone trying to run their own section of a forum? Can't see it happening.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5