MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Absolute path problems?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been having problems with too many open connections on my server and the host has reported this:

Quote:I can see that the php scripts in the domain uses allow_url_fopen. Most of the time, when the website is called, the script calls the domain and makes connection to itself. This causes too many connection to the server. I will suggest you to use absolute path for the files and folders called in the script instead of using URL. Please contact a php developer to fix this issue.
Please let us know if you need any other assistance

What does this mean and how can I fix it? Or is it BS?

What happens is, my members randomly get blocked for too many open connections (30 allowed) by the firewall and I have to find there IP address and have the host unblock them. I was just blocked myself for having 280 open connections at once! I need to get this fixed asap!

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
Get a better host, I never had some blocking issue.
Are you only running MyBB and plugins? I think the hoster is talking out of his hat. I never encountered a plugin that calls a file via a URL instead of an absolute path.
I have an IPB forum as well as MyBB but members from both forums are having issues. None of them participate in both forums except for me.
(2011-05-12, 12:00 PM)RocketFoot Wrote: [ -> ]I have an IPB forum as well as MyBB but members from both forums are having issues. None of them participate in both forums except for me.

I don't think IPB does it but, although I've seen some paid software do some weird stuff. Your hoster probably isn't capable handling the amount of requests you get. Their first respond to server issue is always the software you are running. It's never there own fault.
(2011-05-12, 12:21 PM)Aries-Belgium Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-12, 12:00 PM)RocketFoot Wrote: [ -> ]I have an IPB forum as well as MyBB but members from both forums are having issues. None of them participate in both forums except for me.

I don't think IPB does it but, although I've seen some paid software do some weird stuff. Your hoster probably isn't capable handling the amount of requests you get. Their first respond to server issue is always the software you are running. It's never there own fault.

I wonder how many connections are acceptable with MyBB in particular?
Who do you host with?
(2011-05-12, 01:07 PM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]Who do you host with?

Hostdime.com

Excellent service other than this connection problem.
Well, the level III tech is now telling me that their techs manually block threats, it is not automated! So I'm totally confused now! LOL

He said they adjusted timeouts also so there is no possibility of script hangs causing open connections.
allow_url_fopen is disabled on some hosts so no script should use it for doing what your hosts says. I think you just have to many visitors.
From what I can see is you might be having a lot of number of visits.

In this case, if your budget is a bit high, I would recommend:

www.dreamhosts.com

They have the maximum limit of 300 max_active_connections, yes it can handle users as high as 300 users at the same time.

It costs about 7.99$ or 8.99$, not sure but they are seem to be best if you get a lot of visits, plus they use forum software as MyBB so they know quite good about it and handling requests. Toungue
Pages: 1 2