MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to get guests to join/converse?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What can I (and other admins) do to get guests to actually join in on the conversation?

On my site, I post news and downloads, the news gets a fair amount of views as do the downloads, but guests never seem to be, lured in enough to actually join the conversation. And on the blog, it's not even that hard, I have disqus installed so they can use accounts that they already have set up else where.

I don't want to force guests to register to download, because they can easily go and get the downloads from some where else, I'm offering a nice place to get downloads not a service or anything.

So I was just wondering, what do you do to get guests to join up and join in?
Maybe making Facebook, Twitter, Google ID, ... logins available will lower the step for guests to join your website?
Give them a reason too.
(2011-05-12, 11:50 PM)Aries-Belgium Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe making Facebook, Twitter, Google ID, ... logins available will lower the step for guests to join your website?
You can do that on the blog, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to do it on the forum as well.

(2011-05-12, 11:55 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Give them a reason too.
Lol. /thread

But seriously, I can't think of what else to do. I offer, tutorials, which gets a nice amount of views, and a fair amount of people registering for help, but after they get help they never return to the site.

I offer downloads, but like I said, guests don't have to register to download.

I post news, but they don't join in on the conversation.

Is it just a matter of staying persistent and waiting for members? Or is there something more that I need to be doing?

Allow guest posting in some forums. Maybe throttle download speeds?
(2011-05-13, 12:07 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Allow guest posting in some forums. Maybe throttle download speeds?

In which forums though? And wouldn't spam go through the roof if I did that?

I guess... I could open the news forums for guests, leave tutorials and stuff for members to talk in. But I'm a bit worried about spam.
Do you have anything worth discussing? Is there an interesting conversation already happening?
(2011-05-13, 02:29 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have anything worth discussing? Is there an interesting conversation already happening?

Yea, we have a really tight community so the members are always posting interesting news, and just random stuff. Right now, it's slow because of finals that every one's having but still, the members are really awesome at that.

And then we have news going on too, so, there's a lot of stuff to discuss.
What are you doing outside of the MyBB Community to promote your forum?
(2011-05-13, 03:57 AM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]What are you doing outside of the MyBB Community to promote your forum?

Uh... yahoo answers to try and get people that need help with consoles to come down.

Signature ads on other forums

When I can afford it I buy ad spots.

PostLoop. I've gotten a couple of loyal members from there.

And.... that's all.
Pages: 1 2