MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Showcase Rules?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Tim B. Wrote:You may also only reply once to a thread, unless you are replying to a request for clarification that was specifically directed at you.

I find I break this rule (by mistake), quite a bit. Why is this rule even here? In my opinion, it's keeping back the poster from getting full potential here. If we can't reply to continue the discussion with them, and clarify/suggest new stuff, then they won't get every detail. Edited posts generally aren't seen, because people skip to the last post, and first most the most.

It would be more beneficial to users posting in the showcase, and to us giving feedback if this rule was changed. Smile
I agree with what you're saying, it wouldn't hurt to remove this rule, it doesn't benefit the section in my opinion.
I agree. The rule is always broken, making it redundant.
I think it was put in place to stop others bumping the thread to get around bump rules Wink.
(2011-05-14, 09:09 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]I think it was put in place to stop others bumping the thread to get around bump rules Wink.
It should have to be a constructive reply. And, there should be no gravedigging either. I'm sure these two minor things can be enforced for a MUCH better Showcase section. Wink
Quote:I agree. The rule is always broken, making it redundant.

Thats not a valid statement imho, just because people break a rule often doesn't make it redundant at all, simple means it has to be enforced more. eg. if a lot of people started littering should we make it legal

(2011-05-14, 09:42 AM)Jitendra M Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I agree. The rule is always broken, making it redundant.

Thats not a valid statement imho, just because people break a rule often doesn't make it redundant at all, simple means it has to be enforced more. eg. if a lot of people started littering should we make it legal
I mostly forget about the rule, because it's so odd that it doesn't make sense to me. Then I realize later on that I didn't follow it.

While I do agree with your post, I still believe the rule itself is redundant. My reasoning can be found in my first post.

The rule makes sense in the context of the greater effect we were trying to achieve. Unfortunately that didn't really fly and there are several other rules from that which don't really get enforced either.

I might try and find some time to tidy up those rules and remove the things that didn't work when we rewrote them.
(2011-05-14, 12:13 PM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]The rule makes sense in the context of the greater effect we were trying to achieve. Unfortunately that didn't really fly and there are several other rules from that which don't really get enforced either.

I might try and find some time to tidy up those rules and remove the things that didn't work when we rewrote them.

Maybe you can look at the 5 bump rule too? I am kinda proud my board is doing so well and love to do "milestone" bumps. It's both a showing off (yes i admit lol) and a wanting to show what is possible with mybb software thing. I also think having big, active boards in the showcase forum on a regular basis is a good thing. New users might not only be interested in how forums look, but also in performance and such things.

But i have only 1 bump left for this year. Sad

For example maybe allow a few milestone bumps extra if there are at least 250-500K posts more than last milestone bump?

Just thinking out loud.. it's not an issue or something..
The 5 bump rule won't be changed. Sure there may be some limited cases where it is a hindrance but mostly it stops people continually bumping sites that no one is interested in.

If you want to ration your bumps then simply don't be the last person to post, by that I mean if you don't feel like anyone will post after you then don't reply. It's not too difficult to gauge how much people are interested in your site and if you feel like interest is dwindling you should just leave it be rather than trying to squeeze every last reply out of it. That way you will be free to "bump" your thread at a later time without using any of your actual "bumps". Of course if no one posts after you then the next time you bump it then it will count, but if not a single person replies after your bump then chances are no one is interested at that time, and if no one is interested at 5 different times then I think it's safe to say that interest has well and truly died. I think it is a pretty fair system to be honest.

Plus we archive the showcase forum approximately annually after which you can start from a clean slate.
Pages: 1 2 3