MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Admin CP Honeypot (Fake Admin CP)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2011-08-09, 09:39 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-08-09, 09:27 PM)Jihad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-08-09, 01:49 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-08-09, 06:07 AM)Jihad Wrote: [ -> ]I'm having some issues with the email notifications. I recently switched hosts and emails are no longer being received when someone tries to login. I'm using SMTP and forum emails are sent out just fine. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin, but it still won't work. Any ideas?
The plugin only works with PHP Mail and not SMTP.

Are there plans to implement a SMTP feature? I'd use PHP mail but it usually ends up in the spam folder. Confused

I'm afraid not. Sad

Oh well, it's a great plugin overall. Big Grin
Hello,This is a great plugin and is working just fine for me. There is one thing I am trying to figure out. I am using a Google SEO plugin found here http://mods.mybb.com/view/google-seo. You state in the description that users get a 404 not found page if they try to view the admincphoneypot.php file however what the users see is html content and the file name is visible in the address bar so it lets the potential attacker know the file is there.

The Google SEO plugin allows for a proper 404 file not found error integrated in to the forum so I was hoping there is a way to integrate your plugin or modify it in a way that it works with or gives the same 404 not found page as anything else would with the Google SEO plugin.

**UPDATE**
Question answered. I received help from author of the google seo plugin.
You should be able to hide a file with .htaccess (so it raises a real 404 instead).
e.g. RewriteRule somefile.php [L,R=404]
worked like a charm! Smile
For anyone using cloudflare or another reverse proxy you may want to follow the advice of Kretol over in the reviews for the plugin:
Just to note, this doesn't help too much if you're using a CDN or other reverse-proxy for your site.

To take advantage of reverse-proxies (or Cloudflare if you've edited functions.php), open the index.php file in the honeypot admin directory and edit as follows:

Line 26:
$ip = getenv("REMOTE_ADDR");

change to:
$ip = get_ip();

This will use mybb's function, so it'll take into account the reverse-proxies.
I tested it myself and it worked, but I'm not super-awesome with code to know if it's bad for performance or anything. Please feel free to correct me if needed!

Written By: Kretol, 25th September 2011
it doesn't work for me, i changed admin directory and also in the config.php
Then i uploaded the fake admin directory in the same location where it is my original admin directory
that i changed the name, but still it doesn't work, to login in AdminCP with original link,
it works to login in AdminCP only with that fake link and still can't login !?
1) Rename your /admin directory (ex. beh4R)

2) Upload the new /admin directory and the plugin to your inc/plugins folder.

3) Install and Activate the plugin via your Admin CP.

4) Go to ACP >> Configuration >> Admin CP Honeypot Settings and edit the settings as you wish.

now to login to ACP you need to go to, yourforum.com/beh4R/index.php
Can confirm this plugin works fine with the latest 1.8.1 version of the software.  Cool
(2014-10-25, 03:43 PM)mike537 Wrote: [ -> ]Can confirm this plugin works fine with the latest 1.8.1 version of the software.  Cool

It would really be better if the author of plugin will update it for 1.8.x serie!
The plugin does work with the latest version however, the user interface should be updated so it looks more like the real up to date ACP login screen (ACP Pin)
This mod broke my admin login. I didn't change the login credentials, but I cannot log in with my user/pass now.

Any thoughts?
(2015-01-16, 09:49 PM)daviswe Wrote: [ -> ]This mod broke my admin login. I didn't change the login credentials, but I cannot log in with my user/pass now.

Any thoughts?

The only way that would happen is if you forgot to rename the admin directory before uploading the plugin... Or if you're trying to login to the honeypot...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5