MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Forum New Beginning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am thinking of moving past my current forum and starting a new one I would love some idea's of what it should be about and if anyone would be interested in buying my old one off then shoot me an offer Wink
If you don't know what your forum should be about, please don't bother opening a forum.

http://mybbcommunity.com/articles/myidea.../#more-483
No I do have a few idea's I even came up with a few domains already. Just want to see what people want to see on the web.
The things we want to see generally already have 50 bajilluion forums on that topic.
I am thinking of denying you support for hacking content, until you "move past" that forum Smile
Quote:Unfortunately, that type of excitement is usually detrimental to the success of a project. The thought process for people like this goes as follows:
  • Wow, MyBB is so cool! I want to make a forum!
  • Now, I need an idea for my forum.

When it should really be like this:
  • Oh, I just had a great idea for a forum!
  • MyBB is great software and will be perfect for my project.

This.
(2011-05-16, 02:15 AM)Darth Stabro Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Unfortunately, that type of excitement is usually detrimental to the success of a project. The thought process for people like this goes as follows:
  • Wow, MyBB is so cool! I want to make a forum!
  • Now, I need an idea for my forum.

When it should really be like this:
  • Oh, I just had a great idea for a forum!
  • MyBB is great software and will be perfect for my project.

This.

I guess my forum is the exception to that rule lol. I was just playing with the mybb script. (theming, custom code,etc.) If it wasn't for a friend who wanted to give me a domain name for my birthday, my forum probably would never have been opened for public.

OP, i think general discussion forums are the way to go. Not too many subforums. Just look at the majority of forums.. The most popular area is almost always the general discussion area.

I think it's pretty hard to grow a forum about one subject into a successful site. As has been pointed out, there are a gazillion forums about one subject. With a general discussion forum you can talk about everything..
But, there are aslo tons of general discussion forums...
(2011-05-16, 07:32 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]But, there are aslo tons of general discussion forums...

Not as awesome as mine Big Grin

Just kidding lol.

Lets say you have a forum about cars. Most visitors will find your site by googling something about cars.

Lets say you have a general discussion forum with topics about cars, love, news, etc. You're likely to attract a much broader audience through google searches. imho.

But, if I only want to talk about cars I think a forum dedicated cars would probably provide a better solution. Instead of someone who came for love and happened to see I'm having an issue with my car.
Pages: 1 2 3