MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Please Explain All This MyBB Stuff To Me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
For your questions about including MyBB in to your website, adding the login form or reading/checking the passwords here are a few threads you can look at where its explained all step by step.
http://community.mybb.com/thread-6615.html
http://community.mybb.com/thread-60422.html
http://community.mybb.com/thread-62056.html

There are more threads that talk about what you are asking in those sections so just browse or search there.

As for your question about installing, you can install something like WAMP or XAMPP on your computer which will then work the same as a webserver and you can install MyBB and test your heart out on it. The admincp is actually Administrator Control Panel in its full form and during installation of MyBB you will create a user that will have access to the admin panel (admincp) from where you can manage the forum.

(2011-05-17, 05:40 AM)ollie Wrote: [ -> ]...hi guys, pardon me if I decided to make a post here, I just cant figure out where to so here I am...

...I am very new to myBB and I had just successfully created my first ever forum, I have been tinkering with myBB and its kinda addicting doing it Blush

...I just thought, can I as its admin, limit posts on video links to particular persons and on particular threads only? As I don't want to see video links upon video links spread all over the forums...

...thanks guys and forgive me again for posting here

Please start your own thread rather than barging in to a thread that has nothing to do with your question.
Yes my question is about incorporating it into my websites .php files.
Does myBB auto change the codes and Element IDs once its installed on the host? I really need to know about INCORPORATING MyBB functions into my website files.
is the website you have already built and in use, or is it in design/build mode still? do you have users already registered, content alrady posted? are you using custom code or a prebuilt script like WordPress, Durpal, Joomla, etc? What exactly are you trying to integrate?
The website is in its development stages. I want to test the myBB system and learn how mybb gets information. Wat would I name my mySql database and what file gets information from it. etc. I want to know EVERYTHING.
if your site is in development, it would be simpler to build it around MyBB. Take a look at my site. the home page is the portal page outside the root of the forums (and renamed to index.php), there are customized sections for articles, a showcase (garage), coppermine is fully integrated, etc.

there is even a plugin that lets you create custom pages within MyBB that have full access to variables like users, sessions, forums, etc. you can then use htaccess to make pretty names for them
(2011-05-17, 07:34 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]if your site is in development, it would be simpler to build it around MyBB. Take a look at my site. the home page is the portal page outside the root of the forums (and renamed to index.php), there are customized sections for articles, a showcase (garage), coppermine is fully integrated, etc.

there is even a plugin that lets you create custom pages within MyBB that have full access to variables like users, sessions, forums, etc. you can then use htaccess to make pretty names for them

Okay, so when you say build it around mybb, do you mean I should read the myBB code then build the html and php code around it, using variables of the same name that pertain to what's in MyBB. Like use the variable $user in my index/login.php so that it can get used in the php files?

I really need a step by step, line by line, tutorial on what to do. MyBB has its own variables in it named $user, $mod, etc. WHAT SHOUD I DO WITH THOSE. What in the world am I to do with those variables. How do I pass information from my website into those vaariables. THAT is what I need to know.

~Jinkop
Variables like $lang, $fid, $template.
What in the world is expected from that. I expected I would create my own variables and use them in myB, but if the crap is already made how is one to know what to do. This is pissing me off so bad.

If I ever figure this crap out, I'll make a book and sell it for $1,000 all about how to use MyBB. Because it seems whoever made it was too lazy to think about the websites that are currently in development and have no host service, and never thought about making a tutorial on how to use the damn thing.
Your making no sense to me, as well as making the situation even more confusing and I think a lot of others are confused a to what you want
It's simple. Explain how to use MyBB. That's it. Simply state how you made your website and what you did to make it. Step...by...step. A DETAILED explanation on how it is done. Not "upload and done", detailed on every code you used in your .php files for your website, and HOW MYBB GETS INFORMATION FROM YOUR WEBSITE.

Just simply tell how MyBB gets information and sends information from your website. I want to know what to do to make it WORK. Not a vague one sentence statement, a fully detailed explanation. And no, the wiki is useless to me. It has told me absolutely nothing on what I need to know.
(2011-05-17, 09:21 PM)Jinkop Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, so when you say build it around mybb, do you mean I should read the myBB code then build the html and php code around it, using variables of the same name that pertain to what's in MyBB. Like use the variable $user in my index/login.php so that it can get used in the php files?

I really need a step by step, line by line, tutorial on what to do. MyBB has its own variables in it named $user, $mod, etc. WHAT SHOUD I DO WITH THOSE. What in the world am I to do with those variables. How do I pass information from my website into those vaariables. THAT is what I need to know.

~Jinkop
Variables like $lang, $fid, $template.
What in the world is expected from that. I expected I would create my own variables and use them in myB, but if the crap is already made how is one to know what to do. This is pissing me off so bad.

If I ever figure this crap out, I'll make a book and sell it for $1,000 all about how to use MyBB. Because it seems whoever made it was too lazy to think about the websites that are currently in development and have no host service, and never thought about making a tutorial on how to use the damn thing.

Start with http://wiki.mybb.com/ which tells you exactly what you need in order to use it (Requirements section) and how to upload the files, what permissions to set and where to find the installer script.

As a web application, you need some sort of webserver with the proper supporting packages. Installing those is not part of the MyBB installation, nor do I believe it should be anything they official try to support. Kind of like asking Google to help you install Windows 7 on your PC, configure the network/internet access, etc so that you can install and use their Chrome browser.

I also think that it is not MyBB's responsibility to provide you with all the details of extending the core MyBB functionality, though most here will help with that when the person requesting can clearly communicate what they are attempting to do.

"Tell me everything" is not a valid or reasonable request in my opinion.

Right now, we don't know what you are trying to do. You do not appear to have looked at the Page Manager plugin (what I referenced above about a plugin to add your own content) otherwise you would have asked about it. Had you checked, you would see that Page Manager will let you create your own custom pages without having to worry about dealing with a lot of the MyBB templates and core code if you don't want to.

Also, it would behoove you to search the forums, download some plugins that sound like they would access the areas you are interested in and follow that code. Review the code in the core MyBB files and give it a shot on your own first. Just by looking at index.php and newthread.php, you can see how to interact with the core MyBB classes, authenticate users, etc.

Forget this. I'm done here.
Screw MyBB to hell.
Pages: 1 2 3