MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SEO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Any there any great/good guides for SEO within MyBB around?

Thanks.
None that comes to my mind, but you don't really need a specific SEO guide for MyBB. The hundreds of tutorials out there apply to forums too. However, Google SEO does almost everything for you. Linkbacks, social networking, inbound links are also very important.
None that I know of, but would be handy to find some. Perhaps someone will be able to help us out and reply.
(2011-05-17, 06:25 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]None that comes to my mind, but you don't really need a specific SEO guide for MyBB. The hundreds of tutorials out there apply to forums too. However, Google SEO does almost everything for you. Linkbacks, social networking, inbound links are also very important.

Thanks, is there a recommend setup for the Google SEO plugin? As I never know what settings to use. Would you assist me please?
(2011-05-17, 06:32 PM)Morsec0de Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-05-17, 06:25 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]None that comes to my mind, but you don't really need a specific SEO guide for MyBB. The hundreds of tutorials out there apply to forums too. However, Google SEO does almost everything for you. Linkbacks, social networking, inbound links are also very important.

Thanks, is there a recommend setup for the Google SEO plugin? As I never know what settings to use. Would you assist me please?

I just looked at your Forum and noticed you are paying people to post, so thought I would let you know about post-loop, if your in need of content you could register there. When you see it you will understand what I mean.
I think the default settings are great. frostschutz developed the plugin according to Google's Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide, so you shouldn't have a problem. All I can say is: make use of all of its features, they'll help you a lot. Sitemaps, 404 error pages, friendly URLs, redirects and meta information.

Google SEO will dynamically generate meta information for each thread and forum, but you should also add the tags in the index template. Meta tags should be unique on each pagewhich is great because Google recommends using unique meta tags for each page. After enabling it, add some meta tags to the index page too (in the index template).
(2011-05-17, 06:43 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]I think the default settings are great. frostschutz developed the plugin according to Google's Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide, so you shouldn't have a problem. All I can say is: make use of all of its feature, they'll help you a lot. Sitemaps, 404 error pages, friendly URLs, redirects and meta information.

Google SEO will dynamically generate meta information for each thread and forum, but you should also add the tags in the index template. Meta tags should be unique on each pagewhich is great because Google recommends using unique meta tags for each page. After enabling it, add some meta tags to the index page too (in the index template).

Hi how can I do this > "add the tags in the index template" I have the Google SEO plugin, its all setup correctly by a friendy kind member on here. Could you possibly let me know exactly where to locate this.
Should this be in headerinclude?

<head>
<title>Protection Forums</title>
<meta name="description" content="Protection Forums is a MyBB powered forum that aims to provide Security & Protection related content to you for free in order to help with your on and offline security." />
<meta name="keywords" content="Protection, Security, Programming, Gaming, Internet, Computing, Gadgets, Vehicle, Monetizing" />
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />
</head>
No, no, no! That should be in the index template (inside the <head> tag).

Putting that in the headerinclude template means the Meta information will be the same for all pages, which is not what Google recommends. Google recommends to have unique meta information on all pages. What you should do is enable the Meta information option within Google SEO and then add the extra Meta tags to the index template.

You only need to put this in though:

<meta name="description" content="Protection Forums is a MyBB powered forum that aims to provide Security & Protection related content to you for free in order to help with your on and offline security." />
<meta name="keywords" content="Protection, Security, Programming, Gaming, Internet, Computing, Gadgets, Vehicle, Monetizing" />
Oh, I'm guessing that's made a difference as to why my site still isn't on the first page of a Google search. Changed. Thanks & + rep.
Pages: 1 2