MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Urgent: Cannot Locate Reason for Excessive Server Load
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Site: www.vampirecounts.net
Host: Immediate VPS: VPS server, Memory 1GB, Burst 2GB, Bandwidth 1.46 TB

Hi,

I have been running the above site for 5 years approx and never had this issue.

I upgraded the site to a new theme last night, and installed some new plugins. Upgrading finished at 0100 approx.

Site ran fine up until around 10-11 hours later, where suddenly it started putting excessive load on the server, 15 minute average standing at 26.35 when it should be 0.85 - 1.5

All users have been revered to the old theme incase the javascript in that was an issue. I have disabled the resource intensive plugins such as Abbreviations, Edit History Log, Fit on Page, reCaptcha, Viglink, While you were typing.

I did try to uninstall MyBB WYSIWYG Editor (1.0.3) but whilst it shows as being deactivated, it is still working in the forum.

I am at a loss as to where this load is coming from, I have not had anymore traffic than normal. The only abnormal thing I did notice was that a mass PM I was sending from the AdminCP was taking a very long time (going to 6000 members, normally takes a few hours), possibly because I linked an image in it. So I deleted the mailing halfway through.

If anyone can recommend where to look I would really appreciate it. Could it possible be the WYSIWYG editor?

Cheers
A WYSIWYG editor shouldn't strain the server too much. Javascript puts no strain on either as it's entirely client-side. Have you checked the task system to see if any kind of odd task is being run or if a certain task is taking longer than usual to run?
Well the system has started to calm down now, so I can only assume it is one of the plugins I disabled which were:

Admin Post Edit
Admins can log into Users' accounts
Edit History Log
Fit on Page
Viglink
While you were typing

The tasks all look ok, though I have no idea on how to tell if they are taking longer than usual?
None of them are known to be particularly intensive as far as I've heard.

You can't exactly check how long a task takes unless it's programmed into the task file. It's something I tend to include in my tasks for the exact purpose of spotting any troublesome ones.

If things are calming down now, you're probably ok. I'd keep your eye open in case it happens again though.
In case this does happen again, is there anyway to locate is causing excessive server load?
If you might consider enabling "While you were typing" again, you could disable "Realtime notification" as it polls the server for updates every 5 seconds. If you have a huge number of members reading threads at the same time it is possible that it stresses the server a bit. Without realtime notification you will still get notifications that new replies were made but only if you try to submit your post.

I can't guarantee that this was the problem but I'm only saying what the problem could be with my plugin.
Ah thank you - I will certainly enable that and see if it improves the situation. I don't know what would be classed as a huge number, but I normally get 200 members / 1000 guests visiting a day
(2011-05-30, 05:13 PM)Disciple of Nagash Wrote: [ -> ]Ah thank you - I will certainly enable that and see if it improves the situation. I don't know what would be classed as a huge number, but I normally get 200 members / 1000 guests visiting a day

disable the "realtime notifications" Smile Although the "While you were typing" plugin is disabled by default for guests and 200 members spread across a complete day is not really a huge number. I was more think of 200 members every second or something, which means that it has to poll the server every 5 seconds for all 200 members but then an average server would still be able to handle it.
Yes of course, I will disable it.

It's still very odd though. The server load has calmed down, but the site is still very sluggish since I installed the new theme.

Is there anything I can do to test what is causing pages to load so slowly? Or if anyone wants to visit my site (www.vampirecounts.net) and can tell me it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Consider joining the Big-Board group here. We have tips for large active sites.

And imho it's one of these plugins.

Fit on Page
While you were typing

Both are going to cause higher load.
Pages: 1 2 3