MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What the?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It almost seems like you are using two different databases or something. Are you sure you are both on the same domain and subdirectory?
I'm pretty sure, after I transfered, I updated my nameservers on my domain to point to my new server, and I'm checking the database right now, still the same one from the old server, so, the database did transfer..

What do you mean by same subdirectory?

Any idea?
I don't know if it's applicable in your case but some forums have forum-subdirectory: www.domain.com/forum/ .

How long ago did you transfer?
Is the old account still active?
Maybe the DNS server for either one of you, hasn't been updated yet?
Google how you flush your DNS cache on your operating system. On Windows you can use this command that you need to run in the cmd.exe prompt:
ipconfig /flushdns
Restart your browser again and now check again.

It can also be the cache of your ISP or DNS server and then you just have to wait until it updates. Or use a public DNS service, like: Google Public DNS
Yeah, that's mine, toontownaddictsunited.com/forums/

How long ago did you transfer? - Yesterday evening.
Is the old account still active? - I believe not, I canceled it yesterday after I noticed the site fully transfered successfully.

Maybe the DNS server for either one of you haven't been updated? - Well, my domain is on namecheap, I updated it, and it's those servers for now. It got updated, I think, cause if it didn't, I would have the "This is the future homepage!" and not Index. Of/

Alright, I'll try it, but I noticed this didn't happen on the old server.
So, I did the ipconfig /flushdns, it did it, I restarted my computer, went to my site, still didn't see the thread.

So, what could it be?
I think you are on the new server and that other user is still using the old one. So he posted in the old database rather than the new one.

DNS can take up to 24 hours to update.

Do you know how to ping a domain? See what IP you get and also ask the other user to do the same and compare both the IPs.
No, I don't know how to ping a domain, could you mind teaching me how to do it?
Are you running Windows?
Click the Start Button, click or search the "Run command" program. Enter "cmd" and hit enter.
Now enter this command:
ping www.yourdomain.com
Where you replace yourdomain.com with your domain and hit enter

You will get something like:
Quote:Pinging www.yourdomain.com [000.000.000.000] ...
The ip is the dotted number between the brackets [ and ] .
Alright, so now the user told me that his sister came on his account, and put him on invisible mode, so that fixes the problem of the Who's Online.

But now, when I asked him for a link to the thread, he said he doesn't see it anymore for some reason either.
Sounds like it's just DNS caching. A user had this problem here before. I was seeing the forum hosted on the new server, they were seeing the one hosted on the old server. Stuff I posted on the one I was seeing, they wouldn't see, and stuff they posted on the one they were seeing, I wouldn't see. Eventually you'll end up seeing the same forum and the one on the old server won't be accessible anymore.
(2011-06-06, 08:17 PM)Waterbird Wrote: [ -> ]Alright, so now the user told me that his sister came on his account, and put him on invisible mode, so that fixes the problem of the Who's Online.
Not really because as Admin, you are able to see invisible people by default. So unless you changed that option in the ACP, you would still be able to see his name in the Who's online list, although with a star (*) next to the name.

(2011-06-06, 08:17 PM)Waterbird Wrote: [ -> ]But now, when I asked him for a link to the thread, he said he doesn't see it anymore for some reason either.

That probably means that the DNS has updated to point to your new server. If he's online now, do you see him? If he posts a thread now, do you see it?

A DNS cache issue is the only thing that can explain both problems and the reason why it now magically works. My guess is that your old account was still active and that his DNS was still pointing to the old IP. So his session information (used for Who's online list) and the thread/post he posted were actually stored in the old database. For people were the DNS already updated to point the domain to the new IP, would be using another database.

[EDIT]
Matt was faster Smile
Pages: 1 2 3