MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Permission System Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I have MyBB 1.6.2 running.

Recently, I added a new forum and the permissions messed up somehow. There is a forum which should only be visible to the administrators, but now it is visible even to the users who aren't logged in. ( Although they can't view the thread inside the forum ). But it is still visible on the index page.

I went to AdminCP->Forums & Post -> my forum-> Edit Permissions
here, for Unregistered users, I clicked on Edit Permissions and unticked all the checkboxes and clicked on "Save Permission".

Now, when I visit the index page after logging out, I can still see the forum! Although I cannot view the threads inside the forum, but the forum is still visible. How can I fix this? I'm not even able to figure out what went wrong. I tried disabling the new forum, but that didn't solve anything.

I've tried rebuilding the forumpermission cache, but that didn't help either.
GOTO ACP > Forums & Posts > YOUR FORUM > EDIT and just in custom permissions at very bottom where it says GUEST (Guest's permissions) click edit and just uncheck option:

Can view forum?

and click SAVE FORUM PERMISSIONS and it shouldn't show to guests now.
Make sure "Hide Private Forums" is enabled in ACP > Configuration > Settings > Forum Home Options.
Hi,

I don't have Guests group but have a "Unregistered / Not Logged In " group. Which is effectively the same thing. All checkboxes are unticked for that group.

I also have the "Hide Private Forums" setting enabled.

Yet, that forum is visible for guests Sad
Just to add. I've also checked the mysql table mybb_forumpermissions and the "canview" field for gid=1 is 0. Confused!
Hey guys,

Any pointers? Still lost on this one.
To rule out plugins as a cause of this issue, please try the following. In ./inc/init.php, find the code:

define("TIME_NOW", time());

After this code, add this:

define("NO_PLUGINS", 1);

Then save and/or reupload this edited version of the file so the forum will run the new code.

This edit will stop plugins being run when a page on the forum is loaded; it will not edit, delete or reset any content the plugin has added or changed, it will just temporarily stop the plugins being loaded, so some features on your forum may be temporarily missing or broken whilst this code is in place. When you remove this code, plugins will work again exactly as they were before. This change helps us to see if a plugin is the cause of a problem, without you having to manually deactivate every single plugin, which would mean you may lose data from them.

If your issue is fixed when this code is added, then the cause of your issue is a plugin; please post a list of your plugins and we will try and help you find which one it may be. If the problem still happens with this code added, then it is unlikely a plugin is the cause, in which case we will investigate the issue further.

Thank you.
Hello,

Thanks for the help! I tried out the above modification turning off all plugins.

But the guest users ( Not logged in users ) could still see the forums. I verified the permissions again, and the "Can View" was disabled.

So I think this is not because of some plugin. Maybe some other mixup. Could you please help me debug this?

Thanks!
Try rebuilding forums and usergroup cache via ACP > Tools & Maintenance > Cache manager. Rebuild at least the forums and usergroups cache and see if the problem still persists.
Hi,

I tried rebuilding the forums and usergroup cache. Didn't help. I also tried rebuilding the forumpermissions cache. Didn't help either.
What theme are you using? And did you also try to switch to the default one?
Pages: 1 2