MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is it a good idea to start using HTML5 yet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

HTML5 is great. The possibilities are endless and it's much easier to work with. A lot of web developers are adapting it to their websites, as well as video tutorials where they use HTML5 specific tags such as <header> and <menu>. But is it a good idea to use HTML5 on a live website? What are the downsides to it? I'm not worried about older browsers, Remy Sharp's shiv.js can handle that.

What are your thoughts on this?
I say use it Toungue My blog theme is going to be html5 with modernizer and then I'm planning on using yepnope for css3 and form styling.

http://css-tricks.com/progressively-enha...ml5-forms/
It's not supported by all browsers, and it's not even ratified yet. It's still a draft. The latest safari and firefox support HTML5 I know, chrome and opera probably do, and I think IE9 does. But like 1% of IE users are actually using IE9.
Like I said, Remy Sharp's shiv.js will take care of that, which I believe to be 100% effective. Although I said I'm not worried about older browsers, I actually am. The website I'm currently working on is kind of school related, and will be visited by students on the school's computers, which still has IE6 installed. Can anyone comment on shiv.js's effectiveness? (specifically regarding IE6)

It works fine just remember if JS is disabled for some odd reason it won't work. So it may not be best for a school site.
Indeed, I didn't think about that. I might have to re-think my strategy here, it's a real shame. Although I believe JavaScript is enabled 99% of the times on my school's computers, that 1% is a valuable percentage to me.
Hasn't IE6 been hacked?

What features of HTML5 and CSS3 are you looking for?
Honestly, none in particular. I just want to stay up to date and modernize myself (and the website, of course).

What do you mean about IE6 having been hacked?
(2011-06-12, 06:40 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, none in particular. I just want to stay up to date and modernize myself (and the website, of course).

What do you mean about IE6 having been hacked?

http://m.cnet.com/Article.rbml?nid=10436...=&bid=-245

Well, it's like having a car that can go 100MPH, on a road that has a 70MPH speedlimit. The car is fine. What's the point in buying the same car, but with a bigger engine that can go 250MPH. It's not needed Toungue as long as it works, keep it compatible
Your school must be upgrading soon, XP only has 2 years left.
Pages: 1 2