MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Removing copyright discussion.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I see some sites remove copyrights for various reasons. Many say its "unproffessional" i think its stupid, who really cares, its two lines.

Though recently i was on a wordpress website, and the owner had a disclaimer, showing a lot of links tuts, plugins, themes, he released to the community. In which he felt he earned the right to remove copyright.

What are your thoughts on that? In the spirit of open source, i gladly actually accept that, and i think its a great idea. Its a great way of rewarding people who people who have done a lot to the community.
Should the right to remove credit be a reward? Think about it.
(2011-06-14, 05:08 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]In which he felt he earned the right to remove copyright.

Earning the right to remove the copyright just because he contributed to the community? Its like "I did many good things for my country so the law doesn't apply for me".

I also don't get why so many people bothered about copyright, its just a one or two lines of code to give someone credit for what that person did.
(2011-06-14, 05:17 PM)pyridine Wrote: [ -> ]Should the right to remove credit be a reward? Think about it.

(2011-06-14, 05:26 PM)Sukanjan.K Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-06-14, 05:08 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]In which he felt he earned the right to remove copyright.

Earning the right to remove the copyright just because he contributed to the community? Its like "I did many good things for my country so the law doesn't apply for me".

I also don't get why so many people bothered about copyright, its just a one or two lines of code to give someone credit for what that person did.

I agree, hence why i keep mine. But it was an interesting concept. You release a lot of things for free, you do work. Its like back to the day when people would trade skills.
If everyone contributed 1-2 themes, then 'got' the right to remove the copyright, Mybb would lose quite a bit of advertising. Those two lines are what help make Mybb gain members. I don't think we should ever be 'allowed' to remove the copyright, and still keep support & such.
Credit where credit is due i say, the copyrights for mybb and my custom theme will stay put.
Do you put a piece of duct tape over the authors name on your favorite book? I Didn't think so.
(2011-06-14, 09:26 PM)Jessie S. Wrote: [ -> ]Do you put a piece of duct tape over the authors name on your favorite book? I Didn't think so.

I usually take off the cover wth the name.
what more unpro than not paying respect the provider of the script?
besides having that copyright below won't harm your forum anyway.
I agree with all of you and we feel it also applies to themes you download. They are free and work has been put into them. Anyone that contributes and donates their time and efforts deserve the right of a copyright.
Pages: 1 2