MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [solved] png vs jpg on header
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
sirs, I just would like to get your opinion on whether I should use jpg or png file type for my banner, thanks

does it affect the board's loading time? which loads faster, png or jpg? sorry for the noob questions, just starting out my first ever site
Usually PNG is smaller, but it doesn't matter what type of image it is, what matters is the file size.
It doesnot matter whether u use jpg or png,coz loading depends on the size but not type.

But for logo purpose better use png as it readily can have the header background if u have a transparent logo.

Smile

I've always found that .gif loads faster, although it doesn't support transparency.
You should use PNG for logos because of the transparency. It make it so it has transparent background, which allows the logo to blend into any website without problems. GIF is more for images that are animated in my opinion.
PNG has a high quality, Gif is good too.
PNG = Quality
JPG = Fast

Quality recommended for header
anything, as long the smallest size.
transparancy is an option for PNG and GIF
JPG is mostly for photographs. If your banner consists of a background kind of thing (like the one in this forum), you might consider using it.
(2011-06-25, 03:48 AM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]Usually PNG is smaller, but it doesn't matter what type of image it is, what matters is the file size.

PNG is always larger, JPG compresses images where PNG does not, thus keeping 100% quality.
JPG is typically for photographs (or images with complex gradients).
As this is a banner, use PNG.
Pages: 1 2 3