MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Success - The Guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Everyone wants to be successful, that's no lie. However, getting to that level requires a lot of hard work, patience, and dedication. Some may get there, and others may not. But whatever happens, give it your best.

In this guide, I will be informing you on what not to do, with your new or old website/forum. As well as giving you some tips on what to do. I will update the guide as I read/learn more.

Mistake One - Re-Inventing the Wheel

The most common mistake of all web masters, is doing what everybody else is doing. They are re-inventing the wheel, and bringing nothing new to the table. Copying a niche is fine, because competition is what keeps us updating. If just one person has a website, he can do whatever he wants, because everyone will use it no matter what.

However, you always need to be original. Think from the user's PoV, and decide what they want to see. Do your best to include as much original content as you can, so your website is used by more people. Content is they key to success.

Mistake Two - Free Domains

Yes, free domains will kill your forum/website. Unless it's under development, a friends website, or just for a bit of fun (not for serious promotion), don't use free domains. Google dropped support for co.cc domains just to prove this point.

If you want to be successful, you need to invest some money into your forum (which will be expanded upon later on), and that starts with a domain. A domain will also make you look more professional & serious, at only about $10.

Mistake Three - Not Customizing Your Website/Forum, or not doing it well

Something I and others hate to see, is a forum that is using the default mybb skin, or some REALLY ugly yellow skin. Don't do that... Please... Just take the time to buy a premium or custom skin, and your forum will look so much better. We will consider you more professional, serious, and dedicated, therefore inspiring us to join.

Mistake Four - Using Poor English/Grammar

While English may not be everyone's native language, for the people that can fluently speak it, this is a big no-no. Do not go around in your forum descriptions/posts going "oh yah brozki i totuly luv da movi ye les go to the mal sum taim k? txt me or summun yo". You need to have a professional image, and set the expectations for posting. If you want your users to post HQ, you should too.

Mistake Five - Adverts On The First Day!?

What I HATE, is when I go to a forum to see them spilling over the top with adverts... on the first day of their release.

If you're a forum that needs to have Advertise Here buttons/banners (like Forumdex), this is okay. You clearly are not trying to profit from your forum, but rather those are part of the forum as a whole.

If you want to profit, you need to give it time. Establish a memberbase, and get the ball rolling before you stuff it with adverts.

Mistake Six - Hiring Mods/Staff! (On the First day)

Oh my gosh.. You guys just don't understand how annoyed this makes me. It's a pet peeve of mine. Hiring mods/staff (ESPECIALLY MODS) on the first few weeks of your forum release is sad to be honest. It makes you look really un-professional, and frankly, lazy. You should be able to keep up with a few posts a day, as an Admin.

And, if you want to hire staff, make it one Admin. As admins are more 'all-around', and 2 admins isn't a bad number, two heads think better than one.

But until you are ultimately unable to keep up with the mass amount of posts, then you do not need mods. Do not make this mistake.

Mistake Seven - Not Everything Is Done For You

Another mistake webmasters seem to make a lot, is expecting people to just register & start filling their forum with content. No, just no. You need to start filling the forum, make many different threads in each forum. Then, make 2-3 noob accounts, and start kicking off with the posting, if you like. The 2-3 accounts will make your forum look a bit more active, therefore helping your search engine ranking too. As well as making your forum not look completely dead.

Mistake Eight - Patience & Dedication

You won't become the next Hackforums within a day, or a week. It may take many months before your forum is getting off to a good start, like you wanted. You need to be patient, and be dedicated to succeed. If you love your niche, are willing to work extremely hard, and be patient & dedicated, your forum can succeed. Just work at it.

Best of luck young & old web masters, hope I helped!
What's even funnier is the individual who post up ads the first month won't even be making minimum wage.

Agreed, they'll lost a few potential members, hurt their forum rep, and barely make any cash!
Another thing is limiting the amount of forums that they create. I have seen forums with 200+ empty forums and like 4 threads.
Yeah, I need to add stuff like that in. I hate those!
Quote:Mistake Six - Hiring Mods/Staff! (On the First day)
I don't like having admins/mods/staff for my own site, even when I have 2 years with it (not really successful, -.-).

I don't recommend it either, I just started a new project 2 months ago with two Admins, both of them just went away.

You need passionating members to be your staff, and you can't have that kind of members just the first day.
Yes Sama, they need to be passionate about it. They shouldn't want to be apart of "the next big thing". They should want to be apart of what you're making. Just because they love the topic so much.

Good Post.
You need to write for The Elite's Cruel Truth blog man Cool
Thanks Violation & Lucas. Smile Maybe I'll become a writer there someday. Toungue
Pages: 1 2