MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: HTML5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Is MyBB 2.0's markup coded in HTML5?

In my honest opinion I think it most definitely should. By the time MyBB 2.0 is released (2-3 years), HTML5 will be considered a good practice and accepted by most web developers. Its official standardization shouldn't take long either. And the whole browser compatibility issues should not be a problem by then. Regardless, there are tools which you can use if you'd like to support older browsers (e.g. html5boilerplate).

+1 I think it would be a good idea.
I don't think it will be a good idea, HTML5 is not even finished yet and we don't know how much it will take to be.

Besides, anyone can make a HTML5 compatible theme after it is complete if they need it.
(2011-07-16, 01:50 AM)Sama34 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it will be a good idea, HTML5 is not even finished yet and we don't know how much it will take to be.

Besides, anyone can make a HTML5 compatible theme after it is complete if they need it.

The thing is there is a number of things you can use from HTML5 that will work in all browsers the main one i see is the basics. have a look at this video from nettuts.

(2011-07-16, 01:50 AM)Sama34 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it will be a good idea, HTML5 is not even finished yet and we don't know how much it will take to be.

Agreed!
HTML5 isn't finished yet, and a lot* of people are still using browsers that don't even support HTML5!

* I really mean A LOT
I like the idea. And the fact is that you can, with a small bit of Javascript, get cross-browser HTML5 implementation without having to use duplicate HTML (<section><div id="section">). Or you can use HTML5 Boilerplate like faviouz mentioned.
It should not be. You have to remember we're webmasters not the everyday user. With the new system it won't be hard to convert it to html5 though Wink.
I'm aware that HTML5 is still a working draft, but MyBB 2.0 is only being released in 2-3 years which is plenty of time for users to drop older browsers and for HTML5 to develop itself. HTML5 will not be the same 2-3 years from now. It will be better, and much more accepted. Besides, it's a good long-term idea.
But HTML6 and CSS4 were announced a year ago, so in 2-3 years I would say it will start creeping up on us and no one would want MyBB to be 2 versions behind. I would say HTML5 would be pretty necessary to prevent that.
(2011-07-19, 04:48 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]But HTML6 and CSS4 were announced a year ago, so in 2-3 years I would say it will start creeping up on us and no one would want MyBB to be 2 versions behind. I would say HTML5 would be pretty necessary to prevent that.

HTML5 and CSS3 have been known about for years and aren't close to being finalized yet. I doubt HTML6 and CSS4 will really start being used for at least another 5 years (probably more like 7 or so though).

Besides the only announcements I can fine are april fools jokes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9