MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Improved Buddy List = Improved Community
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
While I don't agree with the buddy list suggestion above, this forum purist's aversion towards "social networking" features is really ridiculous. Forums are social networking. The issue is that while more advanced forms of social networking have emerged, forums have remained mostly stagnant in their feature set. We should embrace the inclusion of more social networking features into MyBB, whether they be core or as modules.
I'll remain a purist. When you start to add all these social network features you won't look like a forum anymore. So what will separate you from Facebook? And you'll also pay the price in server load with extra social networking features.

Social Networking refers to sites aimed towards the masses where the focus is not on discussion but connecting with friends, coworkers, and like-minded people.

While there is some compatibility between forums and social networking they are separate ideas. Forums are meant for discussion. They are meant for topics on subjects. They are about the content. Social Networking sites terrible for discussions.
Huh I actually agree with you here. Obviously "forums" are traditionally niche communities. I'm not saying we need a Facebook clone, but there are some basic social networking features that should be pulled into the fold.
I'd prefer to see some official support for bridges or API's. Like a way to add Twitter to profiles or maybe Facebook logins. Even massive sites use FB logins. I personally would never even consider it but imho it's a better way to bridge the gap from forum into social networking.
I have to agree with Uncontrol. Maybe we need to take a look a IPB, as it's not really just a forum software anymore, it's a mixture. We should asses how far they went, and see how far MyBB can go without going their length.
I think in 2.2 (yeah real far away) it would be best. You don't even know which direction Social Networking would go. Imagine with 1.6x they did a bunch of code changes for MySpace? Certainly we don't know if 2.0 era will still be a Facebook one.
(2011-09-10, 03:59 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I think in 2.2 (yeah real far away) it would be best. You don't even know which direction Social Networking would go. Imagine with 1.6x they did a bunch of code changes for MySpace? Certainly we don't know if 2.0 era will still be a Facebook one.
An API as you first suggested would be most appropriate, then, and would allow the community to decide and implement features for specific networks.
You know i still think the OS like install would be best, so people can have a minimal install, a normal forum, and then add all the social networking crap after.
(2011-09-10, 04:16 AM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]You know i still think the OS like install would be best, so people can have a minimal install, a normal forum, and then add all the social networking crap after.
Officially released expansion packs; I like it.
No no no no no.

MyBB should not have 'expansion packs' or anything else officially released and bolted onto it. It is forum software, if you start including expansions or bolt ons for non-forum features you risk losing sight of the core of the product and ending up with a hash of different things neither of which work well.

It's the classic Jack of all trades, master of none scenario. It has been the death of many products before and it will be the death of MyBB.

MyBB should stick to being forum software and doing it well.
Pages: 1 2 3