MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What do you look like?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
(2012-04-24, 03:45 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]lamb leather

(2012-04-24, 03:45 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]anaconda hide

(2012-04-24, 03:45 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]produced ethically

How so? I'm all for eating animals to maintain our health, but killing them to make you a nice jacket is not right. Ethical to who?
Eating an animal also isn't ethical at all, imo, Solidus. So, I guess that the word "ethical" can be subjective.
(2012-04-24, 11:08 PM)Irreligious Wrote: [ -> ]Eating an animal also isn't ethical at all, imo, Solidus. So, I guess that the word "ethical" can be subjective.

I think the point he was basically making was there's an argument for eating meat, but I can't think of one argument for wearing meat.
I would say it depends. Does the hide and meat come from the same animal? Toungue
Can you tell me an argument for eating meat? Other than survival instinct, when you are in a island in the middle of nowhere, only you, animals and grass, you have to kill to survive. For example. Other than survival instinct in cases like this one, I can't think of any valid argument.
It does depend, if an animal was slaughtered purely for vanity items such as leather, ivory, teeth (sharks?) then I'd say that is unethical. But if the animal was already dead (ie: slaughtered for meat) then you are saving another animal from slaughter by using stuff from the meat animal.

However - I don't think many places regularly serve anaconda meat (?)

(2012-04-24, 11:48 PM)Irreligious Wrote: [ -> ]Can you tell me an argument for eating meat? Other than survival instinct, when you are in a island in the middle of nowhere, only you, animals and grass, you have to kill to survive. For example. Other than survival instinct in cases like this one, I can't think of any valid argument.

Can you think of one argument for breathing other than a survival instinct?

Survival pretty much trumps most arguments. You don't really need another to justify an action. After all, humans are the most greedy, selfish, wasteful, powerful creatures on the planet.
(2012-04-24, 11:48 PM)Irreligious Wrote: [ -> ]Can you tell me an argument for eating meat? Other than survival instinct, when you are in a island in the middle of nowhere, only you, animals and grass, you have to kill to survive. For example. Other than survival instinct in cases like this one, I can't think of any valid argument.

1) It's good for you, very good for you.
2) Not eating meat = missing out on key vitamins & minerals.
3) It's nature, we've been eating meat ever since we've stepped foot on this planet.
4) If it died whilst happy with its life, IE, free range meat, then why not eat it?

The point is, you CAN argue for eating it, you CAN'T argue for wearing it Smile. I understand why one wouldn't eat meat so this isn't an attack at all btw. If I had it my way, I'd be a vegetarian too, but - I'm not.
^ It's simpler than that. We eat to survive. Though you can argue that we wear clothes to survive extreme conditions, but it doesn't have to animal skin. You could further argue that we don't have to eat meat either, but it is good for us, essential infact.
(2012-04-24, 11:48 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Can you think of one argument for breathing other than a survival instinct?

Survival pretty much trumps most arguments. You don't really need another to justify an action. After all, humans are the most greedy, selfish, wasteful, powerful creatures on the planet.

I said survival instinct in cases like that one. When you go to a supermarket and you buy meat, the same supermarket where you have soy, beans, tofu, cereals, fruits, etc, this is not survival instinct, this is like you said: greediness and selfishness.

Quote:1) It's good for you, very good for you.
2) Not eating meat = missing out on key vitamins & minerals.
3) It's nature, we've been eating meat ever since we've stepped foot on this planet.
4) If it died whilst happy with its life, IE, free range meat, then why not eat it?

The point is, you CAN argue for eating it, you CAN'T argue for wearing it . I understand why one wouldn't eat meat so this isn't an attack at all btw. If I had it my way, I'd be a vegetarian too, but - I'm not.

1) I don't see how it's good. Sorry, but I can't. It's not good when you have other options and doesn't harm this planet and their creatures so much.
2) You can have the vitamins & minerals that you need with fruits, soy, beans, tofu, etc. This is an invalid argument that I see many people using when justifying why they eat meat. It's the most used argument by meat eaters, actually, but it's also wrong. I researched a lot before going vegetarian and I'm completely sure.
3) What do you mean by "it's nature"?
4) Well, so you agree with canibalism, right? I think that I agree with this point, but only if the animal or human died naturally, not died with the purpose of being eaten. Why bury or burn them if you can give them to people that are starving and not have any way to get food?

This also isn't an attack, mate. Even though I'm vegetarian, I respect you if you eat meat. This is my decision and I feel good about it, that's all that matters for me, I'm not an activist. Sometimes I reply in forums with my ideals and why I don't agree with such argument, but don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking meat eaters. I'm just a small living being, but I like to live in harmony with my fellow animals.

@Solidus, as I said, I can't see how it's essential when you have other options. You can get the amino acids/vitamins/etc from eating fruits, beans, soy, tofu, cereals, etc. etc.
Tofu and soy = bleh! They taste like sawdust! I like the beans (who doesn't like Boston baked beans?), fruit, and vegetables, but soy and tofu take it too far!

Sorry, but I'd rather have a good meat hamburger than a soy or tofu burger any day of the week!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34