MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: List of Spam Prevention Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
It'd be better if you rate them. there are tons of anti-spammers and we can't try them one by one.
Thanks for the plug-ins,though.
I'm currently testing Block IP in 1.6.11. As I understand it, the plugin blocks registrations originating from imported IP's. I'm running fassim anti-spam, Stop Forum Spam, and now Block IP--to add another dimension for spoofers.

Installation completed without issue. The Settings info (one question) is written in Persian. Per Google translation to English, it's merely requesting confirmation of activation--Yes/No.

If my understanding is correct, Block IP might be a nice addition to Post 1.
I posted this in another thread but figured I'd let some ppl know here too

Registration Security Questions plugin was working ok for me for a while, but a bunch of spammers were getting through lately.

I've since added 3 plugins which have eliminated most of my spam:

Checkbox Validation
Register Time
Spamalyser

The first two have pretty much eliminated all of the fake account signups. And for those that do get through, or for the guest posts, Spamalyser plugin blocks 99% of the posts from ever being displayed.
I installed Register Time, but I got an error message on my Plugins page:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ''name'' (T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING), expecting '(' in /homepages/33/d127105517/htdocs/mybb127105522/inc/plugins/register_time.php on line 55

When I google Register Time, the only place I see to download it is the link at the start of this thread, http://www.mybbsecurity.net/topic-register-time-v-1-2 . Later in the thread the admin says v 1.2 has been released, so I'll assume the link is current. (The code itself doens't have a readme, and doens't have the version in the php file itself.)

So I went in and edited the PHP, adding a '(' where the error says PHP needed one.

It works! At least so far. Leaves me wondering:

...Why didn't anyone else have this problem?
...Any idea how to communicate this to the author, w/o registering on mybb.security.net?
Quote:(The code itself doens't have a readme, and doens't have the version in the php file itself.)

There should be a line which says "version" => "1.2", in the plugin file.

Quote:Why didn't anyone else have this problem?

It was introduced in the last update which didn't change anything major. Communities running version 1.1 of the plugin don't necessarily need to upgrade to 1.2.

I've released an update which fixes this issue.

http://www.mybbsecurity.net/topic-register-time-v-1-2-1
Problem solved!

Smile
(2014-01-19, 07:43 AM)mikew Wrote: [ -> ]Registration Security Questions plugin was working ok for me for a while, but a bunch of spammers were getting through lately.

The problem is that this plugin exposes the internal question id in the generated HTML, so a bot can associate the correct answer with that question id. Another database table needs to be created (associate a question session id with the currently displayed question). That way, when a new question is requested, the question session id remains the same. This question session id should be in the HTML, and this table should be cleared on a regular basis. I copied the Signup Questions plugin and added the question session to it, but haven't publicly released it. One feature I'd like to add is to make the questions language-aware.
As soon as a spammer targets a specific forum he can work out the solutions of the questions anyway no matter of having the id (assuming you don't switch the questions regularly).
For Fassim Antispam

Fassim.com seems, at the moment, do not release the free API key.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5