MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: BBcodes system like Phpbb3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2012-02-24, 05:58 AM)1912RamblerFan01 Wrote: [ -> ]I like the current MyBB BBCode System. Perhaps this could be a option because I don't want MyBB to get rid of their current BBCode system.
What is it you specifically like about the current system that you'd be unhappy about being altered by introducing a system similar to phpBB's?

Maybe you can check this post again if you're unsure what the OP is proposing: http://community.mybb.com/thread-110576-...#pid804731

I can't see any downside, the proposed idea would just make things slightly easier by generating a BBcode button when you add a custom BBcode, which makes perfect sense since 2.0 is switching to CSS based buttons instead of image files.

any chance to add this option in 1.8
(2012-12-22, 09:52 AM)lexy Wrote: [ -> ]any chance to add this option in 1.8

http://community.mybb.com/thread-119842.html

Suggested it a while ago for 1.8 not sure how far they are with the editor for 1.8 or if its now definitely going to be 1 editor or like back then still the idea of multiple editor support.
mybb realy need this option in default install not like plugin
It has to be default because its not really possible with a plugin. The only way it would be possible is to constantly overwrite the whole editor file. Thankfully if we are lucky we are going to get a new editor. And most wysiwyg editors allow for easy customization. Especially CKeditor has a nice way in the form of plugins. Which could easily be a plugin written by MyBB to add the mycode buttons automatically Smile

http://docs.cksource.com/CKEditor_3.x/Tutorials
(2012-02-22, 08:45 PM)ekerazha Wrote: [ -> ]I'd use Markdown syntax

You, I like you.

BBCode is flawed and extremely outdated, our parser is pretty crappy and full of hacks. There are much nicer alternatives such as Markdown.

My $0.02.
But its not all sweets and carebears.

How you handle things like putting attachments or spoilers in posts? What about nesting quotes? MD is simple and lightweight, but it has no specification for stuff like that.
BBCodes are not owned by phpBB, they have been around since Bullettin Boards hit the net, (Thats what the BB stands for)

BBCodes have issues as well as benefits, written correctly they are fine, but many require the {TEXT} parameter which creates exploits in forums.

What I would like to see is more of the better BBCodes converted to MyCode
(2013-01-01, 12:02 PM)Chris Boulton Wrote: [ -> ]

You, I like you.

BBCode is flawed and extremely outdated, our parser is pretty crappy and full of hacks. There are much nicer alternatives such as Markdown.

My $0.02.

While markdown on paper sounds nice, in the forum world its not used at all. And for users coming to a forum. They almost expect BB-code. I wouldn't have a problem if all forums did this but hardly any forums offer markdown support.
(2013-01-03, 06:58 PM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-01, 12:02 PM)Chris Boulton Wrote: [ -> ]

You, I like you.

My $0.02.

While markdown on paper sounds nice, in the forum world its not used at all. And for users coming to a forum. They almost expect BB-code. I wouldn't have a problem if all forums did this but hardly any forums offer markdown support.

Wikimedia uses it, and once you get used to it, it becomes a bit easier than adding tags all the time
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5