MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: BBcodes system like Phpbb3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2013-01-08, 06:49 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-08, 06:36 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Ah yes. But you don't often find markdown being used on forums.

That doesn't mean we couldn't make it a standard. Better to be those who innovate instead of those following innovation.

But is this an area you want to innovate. Everybody who posts on forums wants to use the same syntax for their posts. Some use special editors yes, but a lot of people are simply used to the bbcode tags by now. I think honestly it would be a bad idea to be the only one who does not use that anymore.
(2013-01-09, 08:17 PM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-08, 06:36 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Ah yes. But you don't often find markdown being used on forums.

That doesn't mean we couldn't make it a standard. Better to be those who innovate instead of those following innovation.

But is this an area you want to innovate. Everybody who posts on forums wants to use the same syntax for their posts. Some use special editors yes, but a lot of people are simply used to the bbcode tags by now. I think honestly it would be a bad idea to be the only one who does not use that anymore.

Each forum software uses slightly different BB code parsers. They're barely cross compatible as it is. BB code was invented 4 years after the first bulletin board system was created. There must have been people who didn't like the fact they had to use BB code instead of regular HTML. In 12 years time, every BBS which has lasted might be using Markdown. BB code isn't exactly perfect. Being replaced by something better, be it Markdown or another system, will inevitably happen.
(2013-01-09, 08:43 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]

Each forum software uses slightly different BB code parsers. They're barely cross compatible as it is. BB code was invented 4 years after the first bulletin board system was created. There must have been people who didn't like the fact they had to use BB code instead of regular HTML. In 12 years time, every BBS which has lasted might be using Markdown. BB code isn't exactly perfect. Being replaced by something better, be it Markdown or another system, will inevitably happen.

I think all markup languages will disappear everything can be done now like a normal word editor on a site using a WYSIWYG editor. Which would mean we would not need any of the current BB code or markdown systems anymore.
(2013-01-10, 10:49 PM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]

I think all markup languages will disappear everything can be done now like a normal word editor on a site using a WYSIWYG editor. Which would mean we would not need any of the current BB code or markdown systems anymore.

I highly doubt that. Toungue

I for one don't, and won't use a WYSIWYG editor ever for forum posting (Or anything). I'm sure there are others that feel the same.
(2013-01-10, 10:49 PM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]

I hope you're aware there's XML behind most modern word processors.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5