MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Notification system idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The idea is really simple. When someone posted a thread or replied to a thread, a notification will pop-up as a 'toast' like msn does in lower right corner of the page.

Example, if I create a post announcement it will pop a message below:

Vital posted {threadtitle} at {forumname}.

And that notification is clickable link. When clicked, it will redirect the users to the post/thread.

and so, with this, this system will also pop a window for replies.

Vital replied to {threadtitle}.

Hope you got what I have in mind.
Thank you.
Please no. On large forums, this would just be awful and it would add un-necessary load.
(2011-12-29, 06:07 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Please no. On large forums, this would just be awful and it would add un-necessary load.
^ this

Imagine big big forums sending a notification every 2 seconds. That would suck and end up adding a lot of load to the board.
Waiting for Labrocca to say "NO" lol
(2011-12-29, 06:07 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Please no. On large forums, this would just be awful and it would add un-necessary load.

That ^

I think MyBB team is smart enough to know this type of feature is resource intensive to any database and would be an overall waste of precious resources.

Not to mention, even on a small board it would have to be constantly checking for new posts/replies/everything else.
(2011-12-30, 01:53 PM)Booher Wrote: [ -> ]Not to mention, even on a small board it would have to be constantly checking for new posts/replies/everything else.

And generally small hosts will run on small shared packages, which can't handle the requests properly.

I agree with you guys. Its not needed.
(2011-12-30, 06:14 PM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2011-12-30, 01:53 PM)Booher Wrote: [ -> ]Not to mention, even on a small board it would have to be constantly checking for new posts/replies/everything else.

And generally small hosts will run on small shared packages, which can't handle the requests properly.

I agree with you guys. Its not needed.

I don't want this forcing me up a bazillion packages!
This is the main feature that brought me to xenforo and I'm really hoping that this feature gets pushed through to MyBB. Doesn't have to be forced to hosts though, an option to turn on or off would be nice.

Or alternatively, updates can only happen every 15 minutes or more/less to remove strain on the server (not a coder here so just throwing this out there)
(2011-12-31, 09:39 AM)kjaonline Wrote: [ -> ]This is the main feature that brought me to xenforo and I'm really hoping that this feature gets pushed through to MyBB. Doesn't have to be forced to hosts though, an option to turn on or off would be nice.
That'd still run a query check if that setting is enabled or not, so still the load will remain. prydine made something similar to that you're asking (like an activity feed as that in Vanilla), check that out.

Pages: 1 2 3