MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 100,000 posts: Lessons learned along the way
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2012-03-10, 04:48 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]Should be more though I think, 100,000 is quite easy.

Disagree. It's the perfect amount in my opinion.
TAZ is 250,00 IIRC.

100,000 seems about right to me.
(2012-03-11, 02:19 AM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]TAZ is 250,00 IIRC.

100,000 seems about right to me.

Me too. Most new forums fail before this. "easy" is relative.
Monaco, you mentioned you started a contest worth of $50 of things. Where did you advertise said contest to boost your activity? I know you said twitter/facebook...but if you had little followers/likes how would that help you? Also, what is your niche?

Congratulations btw!
(2012-03-11, 01:13 PM)BitzDefender Wrote: [ -> ]Monaco, you mentioned you started a contest worth of $50 of things. Where did you advertise said contest to boost your activity? I know you said twitter/facebook...but if you had little followers/likes how would that help you? Also, what is your niche?

Congratulations btw!

Yeah- we didn't have too many followers on FB at that time, but we tweeted it like crazy, being sure to use hashtags and things that would alert our demographic. We followed everyone related to our niche and within a short time had a lot of followers ourselves. Twitter is a pretty nice tool.
Could you please alaborate on number 3, I don't understand what you mean.

Also, my forum is going into its fifth month of consisting of only 4 active members. Can you please share your great campaign, in detail, that blew up your site. Im looking for the ultimate campaign to blow up my forum.

Thanks and I hope to get a pm from you.
(2012-03-11, 06:46 PM)Mebes Net Wrote: [ -> ]Could you please alaborate on number 3, I don't understand what you mean.

Also, my forum is going into its fifth month of consisting of only 4 active members. Can you please share your great campaign, in detail, that blew up your site. Im looking for the ultimate campaign to blow up my forum.

Thanks and I hope to get a pm from you.

To be honest - his site is a targeted niche, your site's niche is (in your words, sort of) "A kid version of /b/ targeted to MyBB lovers". It's a little off, but there's a difference. He can use Twitter to directly target his niche where as you have competitors like 4chan, offtopic.com and so many other general discussion websites.
(2012-03-11, 06:46 PM)Mebes Net Wrote: [ -> ]Could you please alaborate on number 3, I don't understand what you mean.
We started off with some "awards" type plugin where we were giving awards out to certain demographics of people - once the site took off it was too much to keep up with.

(2012-03-11, 06:46 PM)Mebes Net Wrote: [ -> ]Also, my forum is going into its fifth month of consisting of only 4 active members. Can you please share your great campaign, in detail, that blew up your site. Im looking for the ultimate campaign to blow up my forum.

4 active members is a great thing! Engage them, have them tell their friends.

I started the forum with help from one other person, we posted like crazy, even though no one answered. It seemed like it took forever. We each had to accounts. (We let the duplicate accounts die off long ago.)

In my mind that was the hardest part, getting the ball rolling.

Then once we started to get a trickle of members, we REALLY engaged them. Read and answer EVERY post - that sort of thing. Be as nice as possible. At first a forum is small and it feels "Exclusive" like a club. I think that is a good thing at first - and people will bring their buddies in to hang out, they will feel like they own the place in a manner of speaking.

We started literally giving things away. We would buy nice $30-$50 items (flashlights or pocketknives for example), on amazon.com and give them away to people who would post in a thread- we ran contests. We tweeted this like crazy to the right people and places: I mean 4 times a day for two months. Posted this contest with link on related FB pages, youtube comments on related videos, etc. A few of those and the ball started rolling. We didn't spend all that much. Maybe $70 total.
Are you implying that if you motivate people to post for a contest once they will be in the habit of posting even if there is no contest?
Thank you Monaco, you gave me some good ideas.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5