MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: VPS Newbie.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2012-03-15, 01:57 PM)Mini` Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-15, 05:37 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]As somewhat pointed out, I would recommend not running a DNS server for a newbie. Most registrars allow you to point your domain to your IP (ie, it goes through their DNS server).

I went this route. Should work. I just added the A records or whatever to go to my IP and am using NameCheap's nameservers I believe. My stupid ISP doesn't update DNS very frequently, so I'm playing the waiting game right now...

Try using OpenDNS or Google DNS then instead of your ISPs.

@Alex Smith: Good to know. I just thought it wouldn't work at all seeing as the whole point of having multiple nameservers is to have a backup.
(2012-03-15, 01:57 PM)Mini` Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-15, 05:37 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]As somewhat pointed out, I would recommend not running a DNS server for a newbie. Most registrars allow you to point your domain to your IP (ie, it goes through their DNS server).

I went this route. Should work. I just added the A records or whatever to go to my IP and am using NameCheap's nameservers I believe. My stupid ISP doesn't update DNS very frequently, so I'm playing the waiting game right now...
Set a low TTL value for your records - something like 30 seconds - when testing.
Increase it to more sane values when you're comfortable with the results.
You don't need Kloxo.

Webmin is great for some things. It adds almost zero "bloat" and helps you access many system and config files.
With experience, you won't need Webmin much either; It still helps a ton (for example) to make "Bootup and Shutdown" scripts really easy to find, control, modify, disable, enable, etc.

Webmin has a whole lot of features, but uses few resources since it is not "taking over" the way other control panels do.

// Webmin easy install from command line:
wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin-1.580-1.noarch.rpm   
wget http://www.webmin.com/jcameron-key.asc
rpm --import jcameron-key.asc
yum localinstall webmin-1.580-1.noarch.rpm
  • If you install Webmin, then enable the (force) SSL option right away.
  • Also, the install will end by suggesting you access at http://domain_based_on_server_name:10000..... You will probably want to use the 'http(s)://ip.add.re.ss:10000' instead.
IMO opinion avoid webmin. It seems to use terminology all it's own and I personally found CLI easier.
Webmin also uses a fair bit of memory in my experience and sucks if you use a webserver other than Apache.
I have no idea what you are talking about on using a lot of resources. On my test server (with 128mb of ram) it ran smooth. The terminology is confusing, and it's poorly laid out. But if you need a UI, It's the best free one. IIRC Kloxo needs to disable SELINUX (It's all the time right?) to run. Which is not a good thing.
Really? I haven't tried it in a while but when I used it on a 512mb virtual server it was by far the highest user of system memory. It consistently used more than mysql, apache and php. As I say, this was a while back though (about a year or so).
This test server has inconsistently been running webmin for over a year or so. Were there any other possible factors?
(2012-03-23, 10:17 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Really? I haven't tried it in a while but when I used it on a 512mb virtual server it was by far the highest user of system memory. It consistently used more than mysql, apache and php. As I say, this was a while back though (about a year or so).

Webmin runs on "miniserv.pl"
1679 root 18 0 19184 13m 1740 S 0.0 1.3 0:19.81 miniserv.pl
Webmin uses < memory than mysql, apache and php

@Alex Smith CLI is easier for most things, just like I said earlier. Webmin is useful some of the time and doesn't take over like cPanel, Direct Admin, etc.

(2012-03-23, 10:38 PM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]This test server has inconsistently been running webmin for over a year or so. Were there any other possible factors?

Not that I remember.

(2012-03-24, 04:02 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-23, 10:17 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Really? I haven't tried it in a while but when I used it on a 512mb virtual server it was by far the highest user of system memory. It consistently used more than mysql, apache and php. As I say, this was a while back though (about a year or so).

Webmin runs on "miniserv.pl"
1679 root 18 0 19184 13m 1740 S 0.0 1.3 0:19.81 miniserv.pl
Webmin uses < memory than mysql, apache and php

@Alex Smith CLI is easier for most things, just like I said earlier. Webmin is useful some of the time and doesn't take over like cPanel, Direct Admin, etc.

Guess I was just unlucky haha. I don't want/need it anyway - I prefer to use the CLI too.
Pages: 1 2 3 4