MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Password Resets?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Since updating to 1.6.7 I've had a serious increase in complaints that the PW reset feature doesn't work as well. I'm curious if any other admins are experiencing this.

I know the feature works but does it have a bug possibly?

Example is 2 days ago I forgot my MYBB.com login. I had to do a reset 3 times to get one to work.

I had done a PW forgotten email. It came with activation code. The new password never came.

I did a PW reset again. Activation code email arrived. The new password came. Then it told me I had attempted to login too many times and needed to wait the 15 mins. I did...waited over an hour and it still said that. Eventually it worked but then it said my PW wasn't correct.

Eventually after a 3rd PW reset attempt I was able to login but oh c'mon. Really? That's how we lose members.

I've mainly ignored the past month or so complaints of the many members daily saying the PW reset isn't working but now I wonder if maybe a bug isn't in here somewhere.

So I ask again...any other admins having problems with members complaining about PW reset not working correctly?

I'm going to do heavy testing this week and also review the whole process carefully to see if maybe I can't spot a problem. But something ain't right.
I have had a couple of people say that. Though I think it was my mail server config error.
(2012-05-06, 07:47 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]I have had a couple of people say that. Though I think it was my mail server config error.

I thought this at first too but now not so sure.

Example message I get.

Quote:I am having a problem logging in. Everytime I login it gives me the message that I must wait 15 minutes etc. I then wait 15 minutes and then when I try again it gives the same message.
This has been the case for more than 4 days now. I have asked for a new password and am using the correct one. Please reset my account so I can login.

Now in general I fault the user but I honestly experienced this same problem here on MyBB.com. Was terrible too.
Only once when the email client was not installed, when I switched to VPS. Now no complaints.
A blank character gets added if you copy directly from Hotmail/Gmail. You better paste your password and remove the character then copy paste it. I don't face problem with password reset. I did it HF, just typed the password manually and it logs in.
I've had somebody complain to me that it isn't working on my site too or something. Definitely something I need to look into a little more.
So pleased you made this thread - I thought it was just me. Near enough every user who has requested a password reset have said "the process doesn't work for me, can you do it manually?" so I eventually do.
The last time the mailhandler was altered in a public release was 1.6.5; it is updated to remove a bare LF in the message (see Issue 1735).

However, I too had someone mention the PW reset didn't work. I went through the process and found nothing wrong. Is there something common between users - same mail provider?
I don't think it's the mailer itself though.

And I know it works but I don't think it's working 100% of the time for some reason. The 15 minute message I was getting here once my PW was reset not correct. I had waited well over an hour and it still wouldn't let me login.

So I wonder if that part is because of a time zone bug or something with a cookie setting.
My users face it for Hotmail, others never complain, but I'm not sure what is causing this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8