MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: RuneGear.net - RuneScape Community Forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Just registered! Thanks for fixing the captcha!

I love the nudge system, but I respect the decision to not release the plugin. You have definitely put a lot of effort into making your forum unique and creating a strong community.
(2012-05-19, 12:31 AM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone wants it, but they won't get it (this version of it anyway) and I completely understand why and agree with TE. He paid for it, it makes his forum unique so why would he share it?

That sounds so rubbished for a free community forum, just saying.

I don't think it makes his forum "unique", but rather more efficient.

(2012-05-19, 03:58 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]I'm considering saving up $300-$500 to get a professional theme designed integrated with WP for our upcoming expansion. I need everything integrated and it would be beneficial for the long run... Just need to find that money now, lol. Toungue

I've got 20 minutes off before my party today so I'm fixing up those issues you mentioned btw.

Damn it no wonder why Elite gets what he wants for his forums, money talks!
(2012-05-18, 09:50 PM)zero_X Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-18, 09:31 PM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]I've only seen a couple of people request it. Also, I'm aware of what the community wants and I get it developed. I'm proactive as you can see, when I want something for my community, I'll strive to get it. We have some of the greatest Staff members on the team working with me - we have an innovative and proactive developer who takes things under his wings and is not afraid to try new things. He fits perfectly into the team because of his entrepreneurial skills.

I kinda rambled on but I don't want to seem rude for not releasing a plugin, most likely because it'll remove from RGs unique touch. Also, I paid for it, but got a refund later on.

I think most people are not aware of this plugin, but people that are into new things and keep looking for things to make their community forum up to date and the best way possible (As yourself for an instant. Other examples would be brad-t, Jordan, me, etc Toungue) are dying for this small, but super useful feature implemented. I considered that the only advantage of this notification feature is that gets members more active and willing to post back, which is good for any community forum and that's why xenForo already made this feature a default.

I don't think the people that get in your forum are much awarded that the nudges is an exclusive touch, unless they came from MyBB's community (which I'm guessing is the minority of your members?).

If you're dying for it, and anyone else, go make it yourself or find someone else. And I agree with your second point, this keeps people interested in threads they're discussing on, etc.

Actually, they are. There's a reason that xenForo and iPB have these as core features, it's because they work. They don't need to find it unique, just need it to be as beneficial as it is elsewhere on other platforms, which we provide. Also yes, many members come from other MyBB forums, so they're pleasantly surprised.

(2012-05-19, 04:08 AM)zero_X Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-19, 12:31 AM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone wants it, but they won't get it (this version of it anyway) and I completely understand why and agree with TE. He paid for it, it makes his forum unique so why would he share it?

That sounds so rubbished for a free community forum, just saying.

(2012-05-19, 03:58 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]I'm considering saving up $300-$500 to get a professional theme designed integrated with WP for our upcoming expansion. I need everything integrated and it would be beneficial for the long run... Just need to find that money now, lol. Toungue

I've got 20 minutes off before my party today so I'm fixing up those issues you mentioned btw.

Damn it no wonder why Elite gets what he wants for his forums, money talks!

"That sounds so rubbished for a free community forum, just saying."
Just because something is free, doesn't mean everything is free with it. The platform is free, and here I am making it what I want it to be. Whatever I want it to be is how I'll get it, and if others desire it as well I can't do anything about that, well I can, but won't since it'll disadvantage me.

"I don't think it makes his forum "unique", but rather more efficient."

It does, since it differentiates me from the hundreds of MyBB forums. Also yes, it is much more efficient.

"Damn it no wonder why Elite gets what he wants for his forums, money talks!"

Yeah, and? It takes no genius to figure that out. If I want something before everyone else, and mind you, Notifications has been suggested for about 2 years now and I was the only one ballsy enough to go out and get it. Like I said, forums are competitions, I'll be the first one there, even if it costs me hundreds of dollars, which it has. I'm about to hit the $1k mark for unique features on Rune Gear, + I've hired a Paul who's a good team member and a great fulltime developer.

I don't wanna sound arrogant, but it seems many people want this plugin and are perceiving me to be someone who wants MyBB users to suffer.

(2012-05-19, 04:06 AM)watomsk Wrote: [ -> ]Just registered! Thanks for fixing the captcha!

I love the nudge system, but I respect the decision to not release the plugin. You have definitely put a lot of effort into making your forum unique and creating a strong community.

Cheers man! Heart

I really appreciate your comments, if you ever need any help on RG, just hit me up with a PM.
Just some advice to make it look a bit better for now:

Edit: Seems that you already fixed this
On your global.CSS
.tborder {
width: 100%;
margin: auto auto;
[u][i]border: 1px solid silver;[/i][/u] - Delete this line
}

Delete this from #container
outline:1px solid #909090

For your tabs on tabbed.CSS

.shadetabs {
	padding: 2px 0;
	margin-left: 0;
	margin-top: 8px;
	margin-bottom: 0x;
	list-style-type: none;
	text-align: left;
	float: left;
}

.shadetabs li {
display: inline;
margin: 0;
}

.shadetabs li a {
text-decoration: none;
position: relative;
z-index: 1;
padding: 4px 9px;
margin-right: 3px;
border: 1px solid #B7BDC2;
color: #576979;
background: #E2E2E2;
-webkit-border-top-left-radius: 4px;
-webkit-border-top-right-radius: 4px;
-webkit-border-radius: 4px;
-moz-border-radius-topleft: 4px;
-moz-border-radius: 4px;
text-shadow: 0 1px 0 white;
font-size: 14px;
box-shadow: 0 1px rgba(0,0,0,.1), 0 -1px rgba(0,0,0,.1), 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,.1), -1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,.1), 0 1px rgba(255,255,255,.4) inset, 0 -1px rgba(255,255,255,.4) inset, 1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,.4) inset, -1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,.4) inset;
}

.shadetabs li a:hover {
text-decoration: underline;
}

.shadetabs li a.selected {
 /*selected main tab style */
position: relative;
top: 1px;
}

.shadetabs li a.selected {
background: #ADCBE7;
color: #000000;
border-bottom-color: #81A2C4;
}

.shadetabs li a.selected:hover {
text-decoration: none;
}

.tabcontent {
display:none;
}

@
media print {
.tabcontent {
display:block !important;
}

Also adding this code on some of the tables would make them pop-up and look good Smile
box-shadow: 0 1px rgba(0,0,0,.1), 0 -1px rgba(0,0,0,.1), 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,.1), -1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,.1), 0 1px rgba(255,255,255,.4) inset, 0 -1px rgba(255,255,255,.4) inset, 1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,.4) inset, -1px 0 rgba(255,255,255,.4) inset

Edit: Just read your replied. you seem heated, just take it easy man. I'm just expressing my point of view, don't take it personal.

If you are feeling this hit me up for CSS:
[Image: UFrvr.png]
(2012-05-19, 04:08 AM)zero_X Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds so rubbished for a free community forum, just saying.

It's the only forum along with iosnut to have a notifications system, that's the definition of unique.

Also, it's rubbished? I've had so many people drool over our theme, but I'd never even think for one second about giving it away. Is that also rubbish because I use free forum software? If you pay for something good that you want, you don't just give it away.
(2012-05-19, 04:36 AM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-19, 04:08 AM)zero_X Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds so rubbished for a free community forum, just saying.

It's the only forum along with iosnut to have a notifications system, that's the definition of unique.

Also, it's rubbished? I've had so many people drool over our theme, but I'd never even think for one second about giving it away. Is that also rubbish because I use free forum software? If you pay for something good that you want, you don't just give it away.

Yeah I think it's rubbished to think that makes the forum unique for having a useful feature that's been implemented in many forum scripts. I think about the mybb forum owners and their members and how could benefit from this. I also consider that it could make MyBB look more powerful and therfore have more people with great ideas willing to use the script and not just kids or people that have no Idea of what they're doing.

I can definitively say that your theme is unique though Toungue

Just to make it clear, a theme is completely different to something that is gonna help the functionality of a forum. I don't want this as a whim (If I was drooling over a theme would be a whim), but rather as something that's gonna help the users be more active, I guess that is what everyone owning a forum wishes for.

Also I want to make it clear, I've never said he should give it away for free.

(2012-05-19, 04:17 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, they are. There's a reason that xenForo and iPB have these as core features, it's because they work. They don't need to find it unique, just need it to be as beneficial as it is elsewhere on other platforms, which we provide. Also yes, many members come from other MyBB forums, so they're pleasantly surprised.

Your just proving my point on why this feature should be available for the entire MyBB community and the members that truly care about their forums.

(2012-05-19, 03:58 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]Just because something is free, doesn't mean everything is free with it. The platform is free, and here I am making it what I want it to be. Whatever I want it to be is how I'll get it, and if others desire it as well I can't do anything about that, well I can, but won't since it'll disadvantage me.

Not saying you should give it out for free. The concept "private" (especially for this important feature) on a free forum script is what I don't like, makes me feel that is depriving the free script from keep growing. And lets get real, there is not disadvantage. And you are right you can do whatever you want.

(2012-05-19, 03:58 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]It does, since it differentiates me from the hundreds of MyBB forums. Also yes, it is much more efficient.

You are right. Not sure why you want that though, I don't see a lot of competition for you runescape forum around these grounds anyway.
Zero_x it is not so much as the fact it is unique in general just that it is just unique to myBB and a unique feature gives someone the edge so why would he share it? There might not be much competition but should the mean that he shouldn't get unique features and just stay with the default myBB? At the end of it all, you want the plugin and are getting annoyed and worked up because his forum has it before yours. If you want the plugin I am sure there is many people willing to code it for you. He spent money on this code and so should you if you want your own version. If you are implying that he should not expand myBB without including the whole community then I would find that unfair. Also the statement about kids and people who do not know what they are doing is also a lie. If this was true do you think we would have some of the theme and codes we see on here today? No. If it was all kids and people with no clue would he have this unique plugin? No. End of, you are jealous someone has it before you which is unfair. You wanting, go code it.

Great forum The Elite, you have made some great additions to the forum lately but I did see a topic a while ago about moving to IPB, is this still happening?
(2012-05-19, 10:16 AM)WarStopper Wrote: [ -> ]Great forum The Elite, you have made some great additions to the forum lately but I did see a topic a while ago about moving to IPB, is this still happening?

They already did but moved back to MyBB.
(2012-05-19, 10:16 AM)WarStopper Wrote: [ -> ]Zero_x it is not so much as the fact it is unique in general just that it is just unique to myBB and a unique feature gives someone the edge so why would he share it? There might not be much competition but should the mean that he shouldn't get unique features and just stay with the default myBB? At the end of it all, you want the plugin and are getting annoyed and worked up because his forum has it before yours. If you want the plugin I am sure there is many people willing to code it for you. He spent money on this code and so should you if you want your own version. If you are implying that he should not expand myBB without including the whole community then I would find that unfair. Also the statement about kids and people who do not know what they are doing is also a lie. If this was true do you think we would have some of the theme and codes we see on here today? No. If it was all kids and people with no clue would he have this unique plugin? No. End of, you are jealous someone has it before you which is unfair. You wanting, go code it.

Great forum The Elite, you have made some great additions to the forum lately but I did see a topic a while ago about moving to IPB, is this still happening?

As a "private" feature I consider that stunts the growth of MyBB in a way and therefore people don't use it. MyBB as a free forum script depends so much on the community to keep growing and be chosen over any other script. I've been around MyBB for around 5 years and It's been wonderful see it grow the way it has been. Again do not make his forum unique, just make his MyBB forum more powerful than the rest of people running MyBB, which I don't understand why is so important, as I considered that it does not make any difference on what their members think. I think I'm giving the impression that I want this for free which I don't, but sadly private is not the same as premium. I stated that referring to the people using MyBB to make a community forum, if you don't believe me take a look at the showcase. MyBB has some badass coders and designers that's not in disccution. I already stated that I'm jelous Toungue that's not in discussion, also I don't have 100 bucks to spend on a code.
Let's take this thread back on topic please guys. We know people want a notification plugin and that's already been said multiple times in multiple threads. Runegear has one. It's private. End of.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5