MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: EU Cookie Law and MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi All,

I have searched high and low on the forum for a mod for to comply with the New EU Cookie law which is already in place in Spain and comes in to effect this week in the UK, but I can't find anything written by any members or any mods.

Is anyone doing anything about this? Is there a mod that has been developed?

I have pretty much neglected my forum for over 2 years but there are still people using it and over 20,000 posts on there, but if I can't find an easy solution then I may as well shut it down.

Anyone that knows anything that could help, please let me know, thanks in advance.
What does the law say?
Think he is talking about:

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=101EA99...E9A84ABF7E

Which is about this law:

http://www.computerweekly.com/guides/How...cookie-law

which becomes active from may 26th so.. uhm next saturday

I completly forgot about this myself.. but does this mean we need to adjust the regsitration message? And what about the guest cookies?
Hi Paul,

The new EU privacy law on cookies states that you have to gain prior consent from visitors to use cookies, however they have been divided up into four different categories:
  • Strictly Necessary
  • Performance
  • Functional
  • Targeting

Strictly necessary cookies do not require consent such as session cookies, BT.com is a good example of how to approach the new law and we have used their script as it has a GPL V3 license, I have had to edit over 50 websites with this new script, but have not got a clue how to do it with mybb.

A break down of the law and how to go about applying it to websites can be seen here:

http://www.international-chamber.co.uk/c..._guide.pdf

Website owners need to be seen to be taking action to comply with the new laws.
You probably just need to look over the registration message and let the users know that they need to accept cookies to sign up.
Nope, you need to do a cookie audit of your website, list all of the cookies your site uses, display information about them i.e what they do and how they are used within the site and how long they are stored in visitors browsers.

You need to ask for consent, or at least inform visitors that the website uses cookies and give them the option to be able to use the website without them.

One of my personal websites (www.cheapspainproperty.com) has the BT.com script in it, but we have heavily adapted it to suit our webkit. On entrance it goes to level 4 (targeting) but if you wish to browse the website at a lower level then you can by adjusting the cookie level. We set it to level 4 as the visitor is requesting a service by visiting the website but you have to be able to give the user the option.
(2012-05-21, 06:15 PM)raubin Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, you need to do a cookie audit of your website, list all of the cookies your site uses, display information about them i.e what they do and how they are used within the site and how long they are stored in visitors browsers.

You need to ask for consent, or at least inform visitors that the website uses cookies and give them the option to be able to use the website without them.

One of my personal websites (www.cheapspainproperty.com) has the BT.com script in it, but we have heavily adapted it to suit our webkit. On entrance it goes to level 4 (targeting) but if you wish to browse the website at a lower level then you can by adjusting the cookie level. We set it to level 4 as the visitor is requesting a service by visiting the website but you have to be able to give the user the option.

Honestly the easiesway to get that done all within changing incredibly much. Since guest also have a cookie stored (which with the new lawys without consent is not allowed anymore).

Would make a new landing page (splash page thing) as temporary fix. Add all the information about the cookies on there, and somewhere on the site. Also make this page add a new cookie that lets users decide the landing page where ther are going to go the next time they visit your site. For example to the forums or portal upon going too your site.

Wouldnt know any real other way to get all done that is required before the 26th otherwise.
(2012-05-21, 06:19 PM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly the easiesway to get that done all within changing incredibly much. Since guest also have a cookie stored (which with the new lawys without consent is not allowed anymore).

Would make a new landing page (splash page thing) as temporary fix. Add all the information about the cookies on there, and somewhere on the site. Also make this page add a new cookie that lets users decide the landing page where ther are going to go the next time they visit your site. For example to the forums or portal upon going too your site.

Wouldnt know any real other way to get all done that is required before the 26th otherwise.

Or just a script that blocks cookies on entry except "strictly necessary" cookies which are vital for the website to function. Session cookies, cookies for remember which page you have come from and where you are going to are deemed as "strictly necessary", however once you start signing up and logging in the cookies become more intrusive hence the reason you are going to need something in place to gain consent or notify the user that if they wish to continue that they consent to cookies from the website as they are requesting a service by using the forum?

But yes, 26th is only a few days away - my forum isn't one of my main sites so I sort of left it until last! I assumed (shouldn't, but did!) that most of the forum, blog and CMS platforms would have had a solution by now!
(2012-05-21, 06:54 PM)raubin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-21, 06:19 PM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly the easiesway to get that done all within changing incredibly much. Since guest also have a cookie stored (which with the new lawys without consent is not allowed anymore).

Or just a script that blocks cookies on entry except "strictly necessary" cookies which are vital for the website to function. Session cookies, cookies for remember which page you have come from and where you are going to are deemed as "strictly necessary", however once you start signing up and logging in the cookies become more intrusive hence the reason you are going to need something in place to gain consent or notify the user that if they wish to continue that they consent to cookies from the website as they are requesting a service by using the forum?

But yes, 26th is only a few days away - my forum isn't one of my main sites so I sort of left it until last! I assumed (shouldn't, but did!) that most of the forum, blog and CMS platforms would have had a solution by now!

Agree just a few days to sort out, but i dont think the EU cares if its stricly necessary or not. And if this is the case i rather stop the users from entering the site completely before letting them agree to every single cookie i use.

Nevermind:

For those types of cookies that are strictly necessary, no 
consent is required.

Would the MyBB cookies be seen as strickly necessary is now more the question.
I've been meaning to do something about this as I've been dealing with this at work. Let me see what I come up with before the 26th.
Pages: 1 2 3 4