MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: EURO 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Don't forget that we have a goalkeeper from the best club in the world, Sporting Clube de Portugal. Smile OK, we are not the best, but our goalkeeper is still pretty good.

I also remember one pretty good moment from Portugal when Cristiano run for 80 meters and then he received the ball, too bad that he wasn't able to finish it well.
(2012-06-27, 10:03 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Pirata, explain to me why your manager billed arguably the best penalty taker in the world 5th? Two defenders took penalties before him.

Other than that, I'm glad Spain one if I'm honest. The last team I want to win the Euro's is Germany and I feel Spain has a better chance at beating them than the Portuguese.

I've no idea. Probably because CR didn't feel enough confident to be him taking the penalties (remember the European Champions final with MU and the semis with RM?). I just don't understand why hasn't he put someone else instead of the defenders but oh well, at least we did a good job.
And regarding beating Germany, I'm not sure if you watched the match between Portugal and Germany in the groups phase, it was very tied and a draw was the deserved result for sure (we hit the bar twice on that match).

Beating Spain's not easy and we managed to control Spain from min 0 to min 90. They had 56% ball possession which is far from the usual they have. We managed to stop their attack while keeping ours when needed. We were not successful when we had to, and that's always been our problem since I remember.

(2012-06-28, 01:50 AM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Portugal edged first half. Second half no one was better, it was boring. Extra time Spanish were a lot better and should have scored twice.

It was a boring match, but it was from either side, not just Portugal. It was mostly a tactical match because each team knew the other team could easily score a goal from mistake done by the defenders or the midfield. The Spanish were a bit better in the extra time because our players were tired and theirs were not that tired (due to the substitutions we didn't make in time).
I dunno if CR is the type to lack confidence, I'm sure it was a manager tactic which failed miserably. When you have players like Meireles and Moutinho not taking penalties in the first 5, something is wrong.

I don't think you controlled them from 0 to 90, I think Spain simply were not at their game at all. At the begginning they weren't at their game because of how well you pressed and intercepted their passes, but eventually you stopped and Spain just couldn't do anything. Why? I blame their striker situation. Negredo was absolutely diabolical in the game, and then when he finally takes him off he brings on another midfielder. Del Bosque is an awesome manager but I question that tactic. I think you were more tired because even when Spain weren't playing good, they had the majority of the ball and your pressing just worn your players out.

I agree that you should have drew against Germany, but I would still put my trust in Spain beating them than Portugal. Even on an off day Spain couldn't concede against Portugal, a team with real attacking talent.
(2012-06-28, 01:23 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]I dunno if CR is the type to lack confidence, I'm sure it was a manager tactic which failed miserably. When you have players like Meireles and Moutinho not taking penalties in the first 5, something is wrong.
CR was supposed to take the 5th but ended up not doing it because Spain scored the 4th. But yes, the defenders should have never taken penalties. And just in case you don't know, Moutinho failed to score the first one, Casillas saved it after Rui Patricio saved Alonso's penalty kick.

(2012-06-28, 01:23 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think you controlled them from 0 to 90, I think Spain simply were not at their game at all. At the begginning they weren't at their game because of how well you pressed and intercepted their passes, but eventually you stopped and Spain just couldn't do anything. Why? I blame their striker situation. Negredo was absolutely diabolical in the game, and then when he finally takes him off he brings on another midfielder. Del Bosque is an awesome manager but I question that tactic. I think you were more tired because even when Spain weren't playing good, they had the majority of the ball and your pressing just worn your players out.
That's an interesting point of view but has a few flaws. So according to you we didn't control Spain, Spain just played bad because they played bad. Each team plays what the other team allows and we didn't allow Spain to play. You can read that on every newspaper in case you think I am wrong. They only managed to play when we got tired. And regarding Negredo, you could barely seem him playing because of our two central defenders (Pepe and Bruno Alves). Once Navas and Fabregas got in, the entire game changed. They're fast and mobile players and we were tired. The game got better for Spain at that time, which is exactly the opposite of what you said.

(2012-06-28, 01:23 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]I agree that you should have drew against Germany, but I would still put my trust in Spain beating them than Portugal. Even on an off day Spain couldn't concede against Portugal, a team with real attacking talent.
We don't have a good central forward. We have three ones who suck. The dangerous shots must come from Nani and Ronaldo. Stopping them (which was done well by Spain - just as well as our midfield stopping their midfield) stops our attack. If Germany or Italy play like we did against Spain, I'm sure Spain will lose.
(2012-06-28, 01:35 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]CR was supposed to take the 5th but ended up not doing it because Spain scored the 4th. But yes, the defenders should have never taken penalties. And just in case you don't know, Moutinho failed to score the first one, Casillas saved it after Rui Patricio saved Alonso's penalty kick.

Oops, forgot about that. Still your defenders (apart from the boss that is Pepe) should not be taking free kicks. Whilst we're on the topic of Pepe, man on his day I think he's a candidate for best CB in the world.

Quote:That's an interesting point of view but has a few flaws. So according to you we didn't control Spain, Spain just played bad because they played bad. Each team plays what the other team allows and we didn't allow Spain to play. You can read that on every newspaper in case you think I am wrong. They only managed to play when we got tired. And regarding Negredo, you could barely seem him playing because of our two central defenders (Pepe and Bruno Alves). Once Navas and Fabregas got in, the entire game changed. They're fast and mobile players and we were tired. The game got better for Spain at that time, which is exactly the opposite of what you said.

I'm not sure if you chose not to read it but I mentioned that Portugal were the reason Spain didn't start well with their closing down. Once Portugal stopped, Spain couldn't get going. You can't say Portugal were the reason Spain didn't play well in the second half, both teams were poor. Also you can't say Spain were tired in the 2nd half because in extra time they turned it on immediately, so yes, Spain were the reason Spain played bad in the 2nd half. IN the 1st half, Portugal were the ones doing damage. Also I don't buy that "Negredo couldn't do nothing because of the CB's" stuff, Negredo wasn't moving at all, it's easy to defend. Fabregas, a CM, moved and caused more problems to Pepe than Negredo and not just because Pepe was tired.

Quote:We don't have a good central forward. We have three ones who suck. The dangerous shots must come from Nani and Ronaldo. Stopping them (which was done well by Spain - just as well as our midfield stopping their midfield) stops our attack. If Germany or Italy play like we did against Spain, I'm sure Spain will lose.

Yeah your strikers suck. But "dangerous shots" is an overstatement in my opinion. I can't even remember one... I remember Ronaldo flopping at one he probably should have scored at, but other than that Spain were never really ruffled by Portugal at all. As for Germany or Italy doing the same and beating Spain, I doubt it. Spain on a bad day beat a very together Portugal side with the most in form player in Europe (Messi's not in Europe atm Toungue). I'm sure Del Bosque won't pick Negredo any more, I'm sure he'll go with Torres in the final. Unless he really wants to strip the Germans of possession, then he might just go for Fabregas.

Overall, Portuguese overworked in the first half which definitely stopped Spain (which no other country could do up until now - hats off to them), but as soon as Negredo went off the whole game changed and Spain could finally play. Nothing can stop Spain when they play, it's as simple as that.
(2012-06-28, 02:28 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:That's an interesting point of view but has a few flaws. So according to you we didn't control Spain, Spain just played bad because they played bad. Each team plays what the other team allows and we didn't allow Spain to play. You can read that on every newspaper in case you think I am wrong. They only managed to play when we got tired. And regarding Negredo, you could barely seem him playing because of our two central defenders (Pepe and Bruno Alves). Once Navas and Fabregas got in, the entire game changed. They're fast and mobile players and we were tired. The game got better for Spain at that time, which is exactly the opposite of what you said.

I'm not sure if you chose not to read it but I mentioned that Portugal were the reason Spain didn't start well with their closing down.
Probably missed that.

(2012-06-28, 02:28 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Once Portugal stopped, Spain couldn't get going. You can't say Portugal were the reason Spain didn't play well in the second half, both teams were poor. Also you can't say Spain were tired in the 2nd half because in extra time they turned it on immediately, so yes, Spain were the reason Spain played bad in the 2nd half. IN the 1st half, Portugal were the ones doing damage. Also I don't buy that "Negredo couldn't do nothing because of the CB's" stuff, Negredo wasn't moving at all, it's easy to defend. Fabregas, a CM, moved and caused more problems to Pepe than Negredo and not just because Pepe was tired.
You said Negredo was diabolical. In terms of football that means the man played very well - which he did not because we stopped him. Fabregas plays in a different position, he played like a "false 9", you don't defend the same way against that.

(2012-06-28, 02:28 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:We don't have a good central forward. We have three ones who suck. The dangerous shots must come from Nani and Ronaldo. Stopping them (which was done well by Spain - just as well as our midfield stopping their midfield) stops our attack. If Germany or Italy play like we did against Spain, I'm sure Spain will lose.

Yeah your strikers suck. But "dangerous shots" is an overstatement in my opinion. I can't even remember one... I remember Ronaldo flopping at one he probably should have scored at, but other than that Spain were never really ruffled by Portugal at all.
No no, we never came close to scoring besides one or two times, you probably misinterpreted my statement. I meant that Spain defended well and made sure our wingers didn't manage to shoot well.

(2012-06-28, 02:28 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]As for Germany or Italy doing the same and beating Spain, I doubt it. Spain on a bad day beat a very together Portugal side with the most in form player in Europe (Messi's not in Europe atm Toungue). I'm sure Del Bosque won't pick Negredo any more, I'm sure he'll go with Torres in the final. Unless he really wants to strip the Germans of possession, then he might just go for Fabregas.
Portugal were cohesive overall but we didn't play well. Not sure if you watched the match against The Netherlands but that was a good match from us. Not so cohesive in terms of defense-midfield but we were exceptional from the minute we allowed them to score a goal to the end of the match. That and the match against the Czech Republic were probably the best performances since we beat Spain by 4-0 in November 2010.
What you saw yesterday was not a very good Portugal. It was a cohesive and strong Portugal but not very good. A perfect Portugal beat a recent world cup winner (Spain) by 4-0 and fortunately for them it was a friendly (and unfortunately for us).
Yesterday we didn't have the luck we needed. Alves shot the bar, Fabregas hits the wood work and the ball goes in. We hit the woodwork 6 times the whole tournament.

(2012-06-28, 02:28 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]Overall, Portuguese overworked in the first half which definitely stopped Spain (which no other country could do up until now - hats off to them), but as soon as Negredo went off the whole game changed and Spain could finally play. Nothing can stop Spain when they play, it's as simple as that.
Spain hasn't done a very good match since the first match - which ended up as a draw against Italy. Since then they managed to get their victories but they never played like they used to. I'm just saying, if they don't have the luck they have been having and if the other team plays exceptionally well (being it Germany or Italy), they can easily be win the final. This is no longer the Spain you're used to see.
I agree with everything Pirata said. If Spain didn't play well, it was because we didn't allow it. Our players were doing an amazing pressure.

Anxiety, I agree with you regarding Pepe. He's a boss. He conveys confidence, at least for me.
We'll have to agree to disagree on Spain, as I think they've got better with each game apart from this Portugal one, mainly because of how well Portugal played. I saw the Portugal vs Holland game and Portugal were exceptional. I meant diabolical as a bad thing by the way, Negredo was awful. Maybe because of your defenders, but I put the majority of it because of his lack of movement/rust.

Anyway, to turn things more on-topic, my main man Super Mario putting Germany 2-0 behind. Epic.
Yeah who would have guessed at the break that the game would end like it did! A penalty on minute 91 and then the Germans doing their best to try and score. Italy was exceptional today. I'm predicting a 2-1 win over Spain.

This German loss is for you Platini!
Seems like the octopus (aka Platini) was wrong.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12