MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: NintenFriends.com
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello. I am looking for some feedback on elements of a site i'm developing. Basically I would like some feedback on visual layouts of my content etc.

Please note that it's still actively getting developed so don't expect a tonne of activity. Thanks for your feedback etc etc.

Game Pages
Game pages are pretty self explanatory. They contain some information about the game, screenshots and options when signed in. If you are logged in you have the ability to add the game to your "Game Library" which is located on your profile.

Example: http://www.nintenfriends.com/games.php?a...ew&gid=127

Profiles
Profiles contain information about the user including their: activity, followers, game libraries and soon to be groups. I am using the Profile Comments plugin for the Activity Feed, but I am also tweaking it a lot underneath to have different types of actions, ie: "Ryan added a game to his library.", "Ryan has created a new group: My New Group" etc etc.

Example: http://www.nintenfriends.com/user-ryan

Game Groups
Game Groups are also pretty self explanatory. They allow users to create a group against a game. Other users can then join these groups to compete against other groups. Groups are essentially clans.

Note: This section is still in very early development, but i'm needing feedback on the layout i'm going with.

Example: http://www.nintenfriends.com/group.php?a...view&gid=1

I think that's all right now. Your feedback is appreciated, and all feedback will be taken into consideration in changes I make.

Thanks
Loving the design and ideas behind some of the features on this site for sure. Maybe the game library on the profile should show smaller icons though? Also, tabs kind of cover user avatars in the profile as well as group icons - not sure if you know about that.

Also, there appears to be a bug in your registration template as I keep getting told the passwords have to match even though I entered the same password both times. Plus the textboxes for the two passwords overlap too.
Finally a site I can give predominantly positive feedback too.

Firstly, I'm a big fan of the profiles and game pages. You've used both those resources really well to create something somewhat unique in the MyBB world especially. The one thing I'm not a fan of is the portal. Unless it's custom and actually serves a purpose to the active reader then I see no need for most forums to have one, so that's what I would personally remove.

The section count is great, you haven't overloaded yourself with unnecessary pressure by doing what most people do, adding section after section. Do you have a specific strategy to break into the most popular niche I've ever seen?

Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback so far. I have noticed those tabs too euantor, it's on my list of things to do. As for the registration bug that's strange seeing as I haven't touched registration so far. Must be an error with the template. I will get onto Audentio about it.

@Anxiety I haven't had the chance to change the links at the top. Mostly all will be removed and new ones added including: Games, Groups etc. My strategy is to firstly break into the Wii community where gaming clans are concerned. I plan to build a ladder system with battling. Battling earns you experience etc. It's one of the things the Nintendo community lacks, a proper competition system. Hopefully in the near future i'll have something to show for this.
Looks very nice, clean and professional. If i was a Nintendo gamer i would register for sure.
Looks really nice. What are you using for the profiles?

Also, the "options" tab should not show at all for normal users if there is nothing there.
Its the standard smoothness css from the jquery ui on jQuery ui tabs
It would be neat if persistence was added.
@LeeFish What do you mean by persistence added? With the tabs?

@brad The profile layout came with the theme, I just created some plugins to add new tabs for the features I created like the game library etc.
(2012-06-26, 08:23 PM)Stewartiee Wrote: [ -> ]I will get onto Audentio about it.

Well, I never made any changes to the registration template (For the possibility of causing errors), so that's not anything with Unova afaik. Don't think Mike did either.

(2012-06-26, 09:44 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Looks really nice. What are you using for the profiles?

Also, the "options" tab should not show at all for normal users if there is nothing there.

That's the tabbed profile I did for Unova. Unless you mean the activity thing, which I have no idea. xD

Anyways, love the site, will definitely register when you get registrations open. I'm a big fan of Nintendo (Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario in that order would be my favorites).
@ Stewartiee, you can use the Jquery cookie and add persistence on the tabs. That means that the selected tab stays selected (open) on page reload so it makes it easier to use something like the comments plugin as a guestbook. Otherwise you have to have the "guestbook" tab on the first page of tabs or have no pagination on the guestbook.

This is how I have it on leefish, but I am going to strip that out and go with a none framework dependent solution. Less js on page load. Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4