MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Where should I put the h1 tag?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I think the h1 has to be pretty high in the board for it to be recognised though. If not found in X lines then the "spider" gives up. I think. Not sure.
No, it can be placed anywhere. But it obviously makes more sense to place it in the header. You can also use multiple h1 tags. That said, don't go all wild wrapping everything within an h1 tag. Your website's title is the least important element if you ask me. There are other more relevant things you can give importance to.
(2012-08-01, 12:26 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]No, it can be placed anywhere. But it obviously makes more sense to place it in the header. You can also use multiple h1 tags. That said, don't go all wild wrapping everything within an h1 tag. Your website's title is the least important element if you ask me. There are other more relevant things you can give importance to.

but in a forum, it is difficult to give importance to more than a few things. that is why i did the thead items that look like they could be section headers. its much easier on a blog site or other

if the template would allow it, i am even thinking of wrapping the forum titles in h2 on the index page and the thread titles in h2 on the forumdisplay
I would put it around the breadcrumb for the forum title on index and for the thread title.
(2012-08-01, 12:26 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]No, it can be placed anywhere. But it obviously makes more sense to place it in the header. You can also use multiple h1 tags. That said, don't go all wild wrapping everything within an h1 tag. Your website's title is the least important element if you ask me. There are other more relevant things you can give importance to.

This.

Wrap the page's title in a h1 only. So for a thread, wrap the title in a h1. For the index, add a title wrapped in a h1 etc.

Headings really don't impact that much on you ranking but you should be sure to use them wisely anyway. Remember that it goes from h1 to h6 in order of importance (with h1 being most important).
I would consider putting the active nav breadcrumb as h1 since it's relatively custom to each page (being the title of the page usually) and therefore more relevant. I'd then CSS it to fit in with the rest of the nav.
(2012-08-05, 09:33 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]I would consider putting the active nav breadcrumb as h1 since it's relatively custom to each page (being the title of the page usually) and therefore more relevant. I'd then CSS it to fit in with the rest of the nav.

That's actually a really good idea. I didn't think of that at all.
That is a good idea Firestryke, I think I'll do that. Smile
i am not a big fan of that method as it only allows you one H1 for the entire page regardless of page type.

i liked adding it to the category title on index so the page is "sectioned", then the forum and thread titles on the other pages.

since the nav bit is the same on all pages, you cant easily add more than on H1.
(2012-08-06, 05:51 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]i am not a big fan of that method as it only allows you one H1 for the entire page regardless of page type.

i liked adding it to the category title on index so the page is "sectioned", then the forum and thread titles on the other pages.

since the nav bit is the same on all pages, you cant easily add more than on H1.

See, I'm the other way. A H1 shows the overall page title IMO and things like category titles should be H2s (subheadings) with forums POSSIBLY being H3s. I guess it's really all down to personal preference.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5