MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Where should I put the h1 tag?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Using one H1 tag to wrap a unordered/ordered list makes sense. Using 20 H1 tags, one for each thread title, doesn't.
The entire concept of H tags is outdated.
(2012-08-09, 02:21 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]The entire concept of H tags is outdated.

I don't think so with semantics becoming more important with every update I think they fit in perfectly. Besides the idea of different level headings is almost any written format. Essays and even posters will use at least 2-3 levels of them.
(2012-08-09, 01:19 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Using one H1 tag to wrap a unordered/ordered list makes sense. Using 20 H1 tags, one for each thread title, doesn't.

What? I would never do this.
(2012-08-09, 01:19 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Using one H1 tag to wrap a unordered/ordered list makes sense.

And how would that make any sense? Wrapping an entire <ul> within an <h1> is complete non-sense. It isn't semantic and also incorrect markup. This is what I suggested:

<ul>
	<li><h1>Thread 1</h1></li>
	<li><h1>Thread 2</h1></li>
	<li><h1>Thread 3</h1></li>
	<li><h1>Thread 4</h1></li>
</ul>

A very simple list of threads, with their titles marked as an h1. There is no limit for the number of h1 tags in a page. And I highly disagree with using h2 or something else. A thread title on forumdisplay is comparable to a headline on a newspaper (which is clearly the most important element, and also what the press gives more emphasis to).

(2012-08-09, 02:21 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]The entire concept of H tags is outdated.

And why is that? Websites (particularly forums) are still pretty much documents. And documents need headings. They don't have to be styled as the typical big-bolded heading you see in newspapers. But they should exist in your markup for semantics and hierarchical purposes.
Well, if I have to choose between using 20 H1 tags, one for each thread title in the forum display or just one for a entire list, I will go with this second.

It doesn't make sense to use 20 H1 tags just as you don't use 20 <title> tags per page, that is what I meant.

In a forum display page, the most important title is not the threads subjects, it is the forum name. Why? Because it is that page title, threads subjects may be the most important thing in the showthread page, but not everywhere. I don't know about the newspapers but here, not all headlines in the front page (forum index) use the same emphasis as the newspaper title itself, even when most of them have a full page reserved inside (threads).

I don't know why do you disagree with the use of H2 tags either, it like you you would use <div> instead of tables (when needed) tags on all your forum just for the sake of it.

I don't know if this is what brad-t means, but I think people misunderstand the point of why there are six different levels of heading tags.
(2012-08-09, 05:43 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't make sense to use 20 H1 tags just as you don't use 20 <title> tags per page, that is what I meant.

Poor comparison. The title tag is only meant to be used once - in the head section. It tells search engines and your web browser what is the title of the page you're on, therefore it only needs to be used once.

h1 headings are not meant to be the title of the page you're on because the <title> tag already serves that purpose. They are headings and they should be used as such. They can be used anywhere and as many times as you like. I've already explained this. It isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

There is no difference between declaring 20 <h1> headings and 20 <strong> words. I don't know where this idea that an h1 heading can only be used once came from, but it's wrong. And it certainly becomes pointless if you use it to describe the title of your page.

(2012-08-09, 05:43 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]In a forum display page, the most important title is not the threads subjects, it is the forum name. Why? Because it is that page title, threads subjects may be the most important thing in the showthread page, but not everywhere. I don't know about the newspapers but here, not all headlines in the front page (forum index) use the same emphasis as the newspaper title itself, even when most of them have a full page reserved inside (threads).

This part is arguable. But I personally disagree with it. The forum name is by far the least important element on forumdisplay. It doesn't even need to exist anywhere besides the <title> tag and your navigation. It's when you're on the index that they become important. because that's when you need to consider what kind of discussion you'd like to engage in (i.e. choose which forum section you want to go to).

When you're inside a forum section, you no longer care about its title. Your main focus is to find an interesting thread. Hence why thread titles should be marked as an h1 heading on forumdisplay. Much like a newspaper's sports section where the headlines are the most important elements.

(2012-08-09, 05:43 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know why do you disagree with the use of H2 tags either, it like you you would use <div> instead of tables (when needed) tags on all your forum just for the sake of it.

I don't. I may have expressed myself incorrectly on that aspect. h2 tags certainly have their use. But I don't think they should be used to describe a thread title on forumdisplay. They are more important than that. But once again, this is arguable. There are a few things that may differ in other kinds of forums. However I firmly believe that what I have suggested is correct. Smile
I don't have a problem with H1 or even H2, but beyond that it gets murky with regards to how they should be used. And I also think having more than one H1 per page defeats the purpose, though obviously I don't understand them. Though there doesn't seem to be any clear explanation for them anywhere, either.
http://forums.devshed.com/search-engine-...05680.html
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/seo-c...ctly/7723/
http://www.stephanspencer.com/blog-seo-t...ding-tags/

As another example, I see this as a book index. Of course, you can make of of CSS, but AFAIK, google reads the code, not the visual design.

(2012-08-09, 06:23 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]There is no difference between declaring 20 <h1> headings and 20 <strong> words.

So those two tags exists just because the sake of it? Rolleyes No, there is a point for each tag. Even if you can style a strong tag to look exactly to he H1 tag, there will be a difference. A strong tag is suppose to highly a important phrase/word in the post, a Hn is suppose to highly those posts titles.

(2012-08-09, 06:23 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know where this idea that an h1 heading can only be used once came from, but it's wrong. And it certainly becomes pointless if you use it to describe the title of your page.

Certainly you can, if your content needs it. In a show thread page, the thread subject should use the the H1 tag. Replies should use the H2. In the forum display page, tough the thread titles are very important, they are not the most important thing for that page, you should use H2 tags in them (establishing they are the sub-content of the H1 just as they are to the forum).
Fofum (Container) -> Threads (Content)
H1 (Container) -> H2 (Content)

(2012-08-09, 06:23 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]When you're inside a forum section, you no longer care about its title. Your main focus is to find an interesting thread. Hence why thread titles should be marked as an h1 heading on forumdisplay. Much like a newspaper's sports section where the headlines are the most important elements.

And how will one H1 distract you from the other 20 H2 titles? In a newspaper, the sports section title is the most important thing once you are in that section, not when reading the front page where there are other sections heading as well Wink
In a sports newspaper I would say the "Sports" title would be h1, and all story titles would be h2. In a forum, the forum title would be h1, and the threads h2. But that's just my take on it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5