MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Where should I put the h1 tag?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2012-08-06, 07:12 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]See, I'm the other way. A H1 shows the overall page title IMO and things like category titles should be H2s (subheadings) with forums POSSIBLY being H3s. I guess it's really all down to personal preference.

This.

That is the point of six different heading levels.
the page <title> tag should be the overall page title.... then <hX> to tag the sections for that <title>
We could argue this till the cows come home Wink I've always used the above whenever writing pages from scratch and the HTML outliner tool has always seemed to be happy (http://gsnedders.html5.org/outliner/) so I'll be sticking to my guns on this Toungue
I thought you were only supposed to have one h1 tag anyway?

Or is it just the less the better?
(2012-08-06, 09:25 PM)Alex C. Wrote: [ -> ]I thought you were only supposed to have one h1 tag anyway?

Or is it just the less the better?

You are suppose to use only one h1 tag (just like you don't use two <title> tags), and how many h2-h6 as necessary.

http://www.hobo-web.co.uk/headers/
I think there is a factor on how many H1 tags you have on a page (not 100% sure) - for the google weighting. The more you have, the lower the value of the H1

There is also a factor called prominence - the lower on the page the less impact it has.

So H1 - at the top, one on a page. I shall add it to my active nav_bit. H2's on categories (thead)
There can be as many h1 headings as you want and you can place them anywhere. This doesn't mean you should always do it though. If there's a logical reason, then go for it. Nettuts+ for example marks post titles on the homepage as h1 headings. And they have 10 posts per page.

If you extrapolate this to a forum, on the index you could mark all the section titles as an h1, as well as thread titles on forumdisplay. On showthread there only needs to be one h1: the title of the thread.
(2012-08-06, 10:41 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]Nettuts+ for example marks post titles on the homepage as h1 headings. And they have 10 posts per page.

Shouldn't they use ordering list for that? IMO, they should.

On forum index and forum display ordering list are probably better that placing H1s like crazy. At least that would make more sense to me.
It makes sense to you because forums have the same design they had 10 years ago. It hasn't been disrupted yet. It's still this old boring table looking thing. Why does everything have to be in the form of a table? I'm not talking about the use of the <table> element, but rather the way things are displayed to the end user. On forumdisplay you're essentially displaying a list of threads. So yes, it does make sense to use an unordered list. Or an ordered list even, if you are using filters to sort things alphabetically or something. But there's no rule that says you can't wrap the contents of a list item within an h1.
Because, people like to fine things easily. And, well tables are designed to organize information. Sure we can try and hide them but almost any site gets a huge amount of views has a grid/table like set up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5