MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Private Threads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2012-09-04, 05:06 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]I may make the password protected thread idea after I finish the current plugin I am working on.

Oh my god, oh my godoh my god...I look forward hearing your progressSmile

I almost began to think MyBB's format is probably harsh on password plugin because so far there's none that I know exist.
(2012-09-04, 05:06 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]I may make the password protected thread idea after I finish the current plugin I am working on.

Ah thats great new Big Grin

That after you current project you might want to do this Smile
Had this plugin been made yet? I really need this.
A better idea for this would be to create a specific different group for those who can post. This way, the leader can invite other members in the group.
Then just set the permissions of the forums to read-only for all the groups, except the specific group, admins and staff
(2012-10-17, 01:56 AM)Aniruddh Wrote: [ -> ]A better idea for this would be to create a specific different group for those who can post. This way, the leader can invite other members in the group.
Then just set the permissions of the forums to read-only for all the groups, except the specific group, admins and staff

Wont work in anyway if you would go that route.
Since for every single thread you want to make private you would have to create a separate group. A nightmare right there. Also its on a thread by thread basis.

The only way currently is using xthreads, and have users input a row of UIDs / names. And then you would have to use PHP in templates or a proper plugin using the value to let users post/not post.
But honestly i rather have a proper solution then that. A good plugin that does this for users.

It needs to be as easy as either:

- A text area where you can type in usernames (that will show up) with commas as separators to specify specific users.
- Or make a text box in which the OP can specify a specific password. That users who wish to post need to post in that thread.
And if a user then wants to post he/she would get a popup when trying to post:

Please input the password for this thread:
I can try, but the functionality for entering users will only be in AdminCP. Is that okay for you? Where do you exactly want the textbox, so that the user can enter the name?
(2012-10-17, 04:42 AM)Aniruddh Wrote: [ -> ]I can try, but the functionality for entering users will only be in AdminCP. Is that okay for you? Where do you exactly want the textbox, so that the user can enter the name?

Best way currently is what has been suggested with a password.

So that would mean (both ideas):
  • For both the option should be there to select which forums this applies to.
  • For both the option should be there which usergroups can create private threads.
  • Password way:
    New thread would have to contain one more input textfield for the password.

UID's / usernames way:
    New thread should then have an additional box (for example above attachments) where you could input usernames/IDs (both would be nice to have the functionality to auto complete)
  • When a user wants to post a new reply/ use quick reply to post. It should when posting check if the user is able to post:

Password way:
    A popup when you press post reply, to ask for a password. If you put in the right password it would post the thread.

UID's / usernames way:
    Simply remove the buttons for new reply / quick reply field and block the ability to post in those threads with a option when pressing the post reply button to simply tell the user he/she is not allowed to post a thread. And if he/she wishes to post he/she would have to contact the OP of the thread.

Thats it in global lines, i have honestly been thinking about creating it myself plugin wise. Though not sure, would be more an experiment for me then anything else with no guarantees it would even work.
I will try my best man, I can create the uid method, but the uid will have to be entered in AdminCP.
I will try my best for this, though
btw, PM me your Skype, we can discuss more features there.
Even with the best intentions. Having the option for the ACP is not an option. It needs to be something i do not have to touch. Its purely for the users, who would be able to select each other to post in their threads. Its not something moderators or even admins should have to touch.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/8828...rting-a-RP

Read the open/closed thread descriptions.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1189...e-wreckage

Is an example of a private thread. It literally is all done by the thread starter. And no interaction is needed from moderators/admins.
I am trying my best at it, I think making a new template will do it

I am sorry, I tried my best, but I sadly failed Sad
If you want, I will PM your the source, you can try yourself
Pages: 1 2 3 4