MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My board is fail.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2012-08-19, 06:09 PM)Toxique Wrote: [ -> ]Nice theme, I couldn't tell it was an edited version of the Apart themes until I saw the footer.

Thank you, I robbed it for the leefish.nl remodel. Not finished yet.

I will keep checking the board, see if they post. I think they did not realise how much WORK it is to get a forum going.
(2012-08-19, 04:56 PM)BlackChaos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-19, 04:49 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Lol no. I have no idea how to get users and things,I am far too shy. I like making pages and things.

Users? Users come and go off their own accord. We can honestly do little to increase or decrease that.
To make a website look good and function well, now that takes real skill.

This isn't even close to true. As an administrator you have two goals:

1. Get new members.
2. Please current members.

I am not sure what you mean when you say that you can't increase the sign-up rate. This goes contrary to everything I've ever heard.
(2012-08-20, 01:21 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-19, 04:56 PM)BlackChaos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-19, 04:49 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Lol no. I have no idea how to get users and things,I am far too shy. I like making pages and things.

Users? Users come and go off their own accord. We can honestly do little to increase or decrease that.
To make a website look good and function well, now that takes real skill.

This isn't even close to true. As an administrator you have two goals:

1. Get new members.
2. Please current members.

I am not sure what you mean when you say that you can't increase the sign-up rate. This goes contrary to everything I've ever heard.

I was actually trying to "boost morale" you negative nancy. Dodgy
Either ways, I was implying the second bit about members leaving or staying with which admins have little say. But a good website design and content are the key components to keeping a members interested in staying at any forum.
The next step, IMO, is to change the title of this thread to something more positive. Smile
Well, I think it is a good title as even though I have tried hard to follow advice from the MYBB community and have put a lot of time into making the board look nice we still don't have activity.

I think it is because it is not 100% clear what the board is, and that is because it was just "made", with no real consideration for the target audience or what was needed to get that audience involved.

I think what this thread is about is that your board can be as pretty as anything, but with no clear focus and no regular attention from the owners (posting/making threads etc) then it is doomed to fail.
(2012-08-20, 06:31 AM)BlackChaos Wrote: [ -> ]I was actually trying to "boost morale" you negative nancy. Dodgy
Either ways, I was implying the second bit about members leaving or staying with which admins have little say. But a good website design and content are the key components to keeping a members interested in staying at any forum.

Well, I don't think boosting morale by lying is the best way to go about it.

It's true we can't be in complete control of user churn, but to say we can't affect it is not even remotely true. Members will leave an uninteresting site -- it's an admin's job to keep it interesting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4