MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum is not active, no new members, please help :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi everyone,

I recently launched a Mybb forum and as most of us, I am having difficulties about finding new members or attract them. My forum is focused on student community. I am really eager to get this forum up and running. I have all the time in the world to improve it and get members, but I really do not know how to attract students in this forum. Would you be so kind to guide me and help me achieve my dreams?

I have made posts in facebook, but some students complained that I spammed them, their groups and their pages. How will I find these students? How will advertise? Sad

Since it is launched (1 week) I got 8 new members. They are not active at all. I am the only one to make threads and posts, no one else does. I ran out of ideas. Guys, you know how I feel. I really do not want my forum to die. I want it to be very very very active. I can do what it takes, I just need help from professionals just like you.

I appreciate every word you write, I really do.

Thanks all.
I would consider talking to your student council and see if they would step behind your forum. Try to make it more official for the students.

Once you gain some traction, I would consider talking to owners of popular hang outs for college students around town. See if they would advertise events on your site.

I have one small thing about your theme. I would consider getting rid of the huge RSS links. Allot of "average" users won't even know what RSS is. Have to keep it simple and easy to use.
i really do not think they will stay behind my forum. They are already mad at me, because I made a lot of posts on their facebook page. They accused me of spamming them. Thanks for your suggestion. I do not know how to remove RSS links on the website. I am a total newbie.

Are there any other interesting ideas for college students to visit my website and join the posts and threads?

thanks
Try making more then the just default category, and changing up the forums to things that would grab students in (such as "Homework Help", "Monthly Events", and other things that are related to student's life, as "Meeting Friends", and then go in for the more general things like "Movies/Music/Games" etc.). Also try picking another theme that would fit your college, and customize it a bit so that it's not just purely default.
Those might be very helpful. You have got great ideas. Would you mind giving more ideas like this?? I would definitely pay you back, if I get success, definitely. I am a newbie, I really do not know how to customize. But I do want to learn, where should I start out with?

Thank you
I think your first step is to apologise to the student council about the spam. Ask if you can make a forum for them.

Then take it from there.
Best way I can see is by adding features that are good for students. Assingment trackers, chat boxes, etc.
@leefish Why do you think getting student council behind my back will get new members and get them active in the board? I really do not think so. To me as a student, I could care less about what school council think.. What other ideas you get ? My board is not about SEO, so it is hard in that sense. I just need to find smt to attract students..

@Lo. Why do you think so? Do not you think Facebook already provides that? (chat boxes)

I ask myself a question and it is "what makes you go to that website as a student and join the discussion or create new thread".

God!!! I cannot answer myself Sad
Nah, me and most of the Facebook group for my program used various other services for these things. Facebooks is nice, but private rooms with no logs are much better for quiz taking.
(2012-08-14, 06:01 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]Nah, me and most of the Facebook group for my program used various other services for these things. Facebooks is nice, but private rooms with no logs are much better for quiz taking.

Do you mean that by using the board, they can cheat on the quiz by using and chatting on their phone? Could be nice, but I don`t get what you mean ?
Pages: 1 2 3