MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Without doubt the best idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I like how OP classifies MyBB as a "forum"
Quote:Theres an improved portal page plugin: ProPortal, and if thats not enough just make the homepage a wordpress site then put the forum under a subdomain.

Is no longer maintained pro portal, neither is wordbb and both don't work that great anyways anymore need a lot of fixing most of the time to get them even to work properly. (and with 1.8 on the horizon both will be broken instantly).

For the rest i do agree the portal from mybb is literally the biggest problem mybb has if you want to classify it as a problem. You have no way to customize it except some html edits. And if you really want to take it a step further, you are honestly better off grabbing the code you need. And build your own portal from scratch. Its not even that difficult honestly (with the ability to echo the header, footer etc. ). Still the most basic feature most portals now a days should have the option to create custom modules is not even their. And while MyBB is a "pure" forum software this is one part i think every single software delivers. Being it in the form of a plugin, or as core feature.
The problem their are no plugin authors who have created a portal plugin. Every thread except maybe one (though its been a while since we heard anything) has fizzled out.

I mean the calendar is less used then the portal and arguably has more options.
(2012-09-23, 09:01 PM)Acid Wrote: [ -> ]Theres an improved portal page plugin: ProPortal, and if thats not enough just make the homepage a wordpress site then put the forum under a subdomain.

this is worst idea i heard in my whole life, i want just to make an awesome homepage for mybb
guys just imagine with me what will happen when this idea happen our mybb forums will be very very awesome trust me people
In my experience, making any page but the forum index the home page will drastically decrease traffic. You should just add more dynamic functions to the existing index page, e.g. http://harajuju.net
(2012-09-24, 05:43 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]In my experience, making any page but the forum index the home page will drastically decrease traffic. You should just add more dynamic functions to the existing index page, e.g. http://harajuju.net

Nah, its not good thing its just awesome to make it good and its not portal its homepageeeeeeeeeeeeee
(2012-09-24, 05:43 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]In my experience, making any page but the forum index the home page will drastically decrease traffic. You should just add more dynamic functions to the existing index page, e.g. http://harajuju.net

I kind of agree. Portals are dying out for a reason IMO. Especially with forums where the idea is exchange of information and discussion. A portal is just an extra click to get this information because well they normally include site updates and not much real info.
(2012-09-24, 05:58 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]

I kind of agree. Portals are dying out for a reason IMO. Especially with forums where the idea is exchange of information and discussion. A portal is just an extra click to get this information because well they normally include site updates and not much real info.

I use the portal on my site as the home page. My users LOVE the portal and hate the index. They think the index is down right boring and that the portal is what makes the site different to all the other forums they go to.

However, I also have a second menu so that you can navigate around the site from there. This makes the index less vital and my users all use the latest threads to see NEW discussion (my board is small) or they can go to the unread posts and catch up.

I agree that the MyBB stock portal on a stock theme is not really suitable for swapping with your index, but with some tweaking a portal can look good.
PLEASE PEOPLE ITS NOT PORTAL FORGET PORTAL ITS HOMEPAGE WITH VERY VERY DIFFERENT STYLE PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAAAAAT
You can already customize the MyBB Portal in a great extent to make it a homepage- don't be lazy.
(2012-09-23, 09:05 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-09-23, 07:23 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]This thing is, MyBB is a forum software, so why would the portal be the primary page?

because some folks, like me, build the site around MyBB and use the portal as the home page and go from there.

I agree, but I have no idea what OP is talking about.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5