MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2.0 or stay back on 1.*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
There's a couple of months or possibly a year left before MyBB Version 2.0 gets released. I have seen couple of webmasters say that they will stay back on 1.* because 2.0 is a complete rewrite and they don't want to risk anything. What are your opinions?

I would upgrade to 2.0 but after a month from the day it gets released.
(2012-10-10, 05:38 AM)kamz89 Wrote: [ -> ]There's a couple of months or possibly a year left before MyBB Version 2.0 gets released.

I'd say longer than that. With the release of 1.8 there's no rush to push out a new major version.
I doubt we'll be seeing 2.0 for a long time, so I'm in between sticking with 1.X or moving on to 2.0. Since it will likely be a very long time from now, I may want to upgrade when the time comes, but I have so many template and core edits that it might not be worth the hassle. I'll have more customization by that time as well.
(2012-10-10, 05:40 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-10, 05:38 AM)kamz89 Wrote: [ -> ]There's a couple of months or possibly a year left before MyBB Version 2.0 gets released.

I'd say longer than that. With the release of 1.8 there's no rush to push out a new major version.

Holy crap. Are you saying we're looking at more than 2 consecutive years?
(2012-10-10, 05:46 AM)AWOL Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-10, 05:40 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]

Holy crap. Are you saying we're looking at more than 2 consecutive years?

I think yes because I heard (not confirmed) that they will be a version 1.9
Won't 1.9 be the test/beta of 2.0?
(2012-10-10, 05:46 AM)AWOL Wrote: [ -> ]Holy crap. Are you saying we're looking at more than 2 consecutive years?

I'm saying that from this point it's looking less likely that it'll be released within the next year or so. You won't have to wait until 2015 until you see 2.0 but you might have to be patient while we work on developing it.

1.8 is essentially a version which allows us to continue working on the 1.x series while we develop 2.0. Because it's such a large rewrite and we're still in the very early stages of planning/development it gives us the chance to think carefully about the choices we're going to make which takes time.

We've done this before where we developed DevBB as a temporary solution while we were developing MyBB 1.0.

(2012-10-10, 05:51 AM)Tecca Wrote: [ -> ]Won't 1.9 be the test/beta of 2.0?

Correct, 1.9 will be the beta version of 2.0. Just like 1.5 was the beta version of 1.6, and 1.7 will be the beta version of 1.8. (Unless we decide to change the versioning system which I doubt will be happening).
1.(odd number) is a beta version for the 1.(even number) that comes after it. 1.5 was a beta of 1.6, 1.7 is the beta for 1.8. There will not be a public, stable release known as 1.9.

2.0 is a few years out yet.

EDIT: ninja'd by Nathan Sad

From what I've seen in the mockups, MyBB 2.0 is looking to be a major competitor to even commercial software.
I'll be most likely sticking to 1.6 or 1.8x due to the changes it offers and the vast troubles it will bring (for my boards though). And you should foresee 2.0 around 2015 or 2016 beginning I think.
(2012-10-10, 06:00 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be most likely sticking to 1.6 or 1.8x due to the changes it offers and the vast troubles it will bring (for my boards though). And you should foresee 2.0 around 2015 or 2016 beginning I think.

We certainly don't hope to leave it that long. By then who knows how incompatible 1.x will be with newer environments. PHP 5.4 broke various parts of MyBB and I'm sure future versions will too. The sooner we are able to get 2.0 out the door the better.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5